Get off the computer now !!!

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Get off the computer now !!!

Postby Ohlia » 09 Aug 2007, 23:12

I'm having exams later today and I haven't slept or revise my notes as yet. I don't have the will power to shut down the computer :twisted:
Ohlia

Re: Get off the computer now !!!

Postby pilvikki » 10 Aug 2007, 00:21

i can relate. i was supposed to do a fullblown financial report, some of it covering stuff back to 1980. i keep putting it off and putting it off for how the hell am i supposed to remember that stuff when i have to check the spelling of my kids' names and largely haven't a clue what the grandees are called.

i am SO steamed about this you've no idea....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby angel » 10 Aug 2007, 03:03

pilvikki wrote:...how the hell am i supposed to remember that stuff when i have to check the spelling of my kids' names and largely haven't a clue what the grandees are called...

well... you're finnish... what do you expect when you have words like "löytötavaratoimisto" for some normal every day life thing...
if a language can't have normal words then names will follow suit, hence making it impossible to remember them! :mrgreen: :geek: :mrgreen:
angel

Postby Silke » 10 Aug 2007, 14:32

angel wrote:
pilvikki wrote:...how the hell am i supposed to remember that stuff when i have to check the spelling of my kids' names and largely haven't a clue what the grandees are called...

well... you're finnish... what do you expect when you have words like "löytötavaratoimisto" for some normal every day life thing...
if a language can't have normal words then names will follow suit, hence making it impossible to remember them! :mrgreen: :geek: :mrgreen:

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

what does that mean anyhow?? :)
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ohlia » 10 Aug 2007, 14:54

lol angel ! can you pronounce "löytötavaratoimisto" :mrgreen: I can't :P
Ohlia

Postby pilvikki » 10 Aug 2007, 19:57

it means "office [of] found items", i. e. lost and found. in some languages, like latin, there are run-on sentenses, in finnish there are run-on words. this one was listed as the longest finnish word in common usage when i went to school:

punarintasatakielipariskunta = pair of redbreasted nightingales

i told my teacher that it was wrong, for i'd found a longer word. she said yes inded, i was right and she'd make a note of that.

guess what! -- i can't remember "my" word and it's still annoying me.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ohlia » 10 Aug 2007, 20:02

here we go chatting :oops:
you must be very good at spelling. i am still trying to pronounce those words. all the words are combined, no space or punctuation :shock: :D
OMG :shock: how do babies learn finish?
you'll remember 'your word'. out of no where it will come to mind.
Ohlia

Postby pilvikki » 10 Aug 2007, 22:46

all i know is that it had to do with railways or hydro lines? still, a moot point now as finnish has gathered up lots more words since then.

each letter is pronounced, so it's totally phonetic and the stress is on the first syllable of each word within a word. that's the fun part. :shock:

and as my teacher once sourly remarked "nobody knows how to speak the language properly!" this, after the entire class had just mispronounced the word "thanks!" [kiitos]
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ladypatg » 13 Aug 2007, 08:45

So how do you say kiitos? Key - ee - toes? Is i pronounced like eye? K - eye - eye - toes? Is the tos part tos or toes? Inquiring minds . . . .
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Aug 2007, 09:50

kee-toss would work. kids tend to put the stress on the last syllable and often there's nothing left but toss! this drives teachers insane.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Linda » 14 Aug 2007, 15:17

I've been here all afternoon. I sent the kids off to make snow globes and watch TV. I haven't done anything else today. I should get up and start dinner...but then again...Chinese sounds good.
Linda
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby angel » 17 Aug 2007, 08:51

ohlia wrote: how do babies learn finish?

finnish actually is not really hard when it comes to merely learning words. the problems arise with the gender, person, and weird combined versions of words.
i have tried to learn it when i had a finnish girlfriend. put quite some effort into it for about a year. then things ended and i stopped learning.
i can still count and say things like hello and good morning/afternoon/evening and such.
Last edited by angel on 17 Aug 2007, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
angel

Postby pilvikki » 17 Aug 2007, 11:30

[makes a note not to talk about angel in finnish]

yes, the grammar is a bit of a nightmare... but the gender thingy? there isn't one! no article, gender etc, however... they get you in other ways. big time.

[minä] olen - i am
[sinä] olet - you are [sign]
hän on - s/he is
[me] olemme - we are
[te] olette - you are [plur]
he ovat - they are.

however... nobody taks like that, of course...

test is on monday, boys and girls.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ohlia » 17 Aug 2007, 16:23

I am curious now. Are the letters of the Finnish alphabet pronounced the same as the English alphabet? In Norwegian a is pronounced as e and e as a.
And are Finnish words pronounced exactly the way they are spelled?
Ohlia

Postby pilvikki » 18 Aug 2007, 13:20

hehe, this ought to keep you busy for a while:

http://www.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=25833

then go to the list on your right and pick another subject. soon you'll speak finnish. :mrgreen:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ohlia » 18 Aug 2007, 14:51

LoL Vikki! I think it would be better if I hear YOU pronounce the alphabet. :lmao1: :lmao1:
Ohlia

Postby pilvikki » 18 Aug 2007, 15:02

but mon cheri, i have an accent now. in everything.

:cry:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ClaireDU » 18 Aug 2007, 16:11

Don't the Germans string words together? The Dutch? I once worked with a Polish girl who spoke very good English but her boyfriend who came out from Poland later and who (whom?) she was trying to teach English told her it was a stupid language. How can "one" be pronounced "won"?

:mrgreen:
ClaireDU

Postby threenorns » 18 Aug 2007, 22:31

good thing he never wound a bandage around a dove wounded when it dove into a shrubbery, eh?
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Brain Information