[split] Should bras be a no-no?

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Re: [split] Should bras be a no-no?

Postby Kellemora » 25 Feb 2015, 11:17

Where my wife worked before she retired, all the machines on the main floor were upgraded from XP to Windows 7. But to those using the machines, they looked no different than before. Because the companies UNIX servers displayed the same log-in screen to the workstations just as it always has.
All the programs they can open to do their work looked the same, because the screen they selected them from was also unchanged.

It was only if they backed out of the main selection screen when they saw the underlying OS was totally different than before. They had to do this to run on-board programs not fed by the server. Some employees found their way around the new system fairly fast, some were totally lost trying to find things on the new system.

To prevent a major work slowdown, all of the formerly on-board programs each used, was moved to the mainframe and added to a second server provided selection window.
This created a little havoc for the IT department, because almost every person who worked there had programs specific to their job installed on their own machines. Many of them would not run if fed from a server, because they were not designed for same.
The frau was still working there when they added a new on-board menu and reinstalled these programs on the individual machines.

After she retired, more than two-thirds of the computers, or actually the monitors, have been replaced with touch-screen monitors. Some of the jobs the gals do make their work simpler using touch-screens, but the majority of the data entry folks just use keyboard commands rather than slowing down their pace to reach up and use the touch-screens.

One of the frau's friends who still work there took a picture of a new keyboard the company added to her computer. It had a couple more rows of keys above the F-keys. She didn't know what they were for at the time, but after attending the training class, the extra keys jumped the user straight to programs they had opened an running. These would be used for those who work directly with clients on the telephone to speed up their response time to the customers. If it works as they expect it to, they can probably lay off a few more people. Almost everything they change ends up with more employees getting canned.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Feb 2015, 14:42

Yes, that last paragraph's troublesome isn't it? The technology comes in, but it puts people out of work, and it's only going to get worse on that score, not better.

When Windows 7 was installed on my computer, the screen was made to look like the old XP system, so that it wouldn't flummox me so much! LOL. Well it helped, since I don't actually use the little extras which're available, but I've played around with them ... a bit. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 26 Feb 2015, 12:43

We bought a netbook with Windows 7 on it. It sits in a case in the corner unused.
The first time I tried installing Linux on it, I didn't have a driver for the WiFi. So it sat in the corner again.

After the lighting storm that took out all of our computers, I loaded XP-Home on the netbook, at least now the frau used it from time to time, until I bought her a Kindle Fire. So again the netbook sat in its case in the corner.
I picked up a new WiFi card for it from my computer guy and got it up and running using Debian. But it is such a pain to get out of the case, plug in a charger, plug in a wireless mouse, change the battery in the mouse because its dead, set up a table to set it on, dig out the keyboard and plug it in. By the time I do all of that, I can go into another room and use a real computer, or walk up to my office, do what I wanted to do and be back down to the house.

The only time I find it useful is if I have to go out somewhere to do research, and if they don't have wifi, I can only use it to make notes on to take home, which I can do just as easily on my little pocket sized PDA, which I still use quite often. I can do more on it than on a netbook or laptop, faster.

My wife's new Schmartz-Fone has a close-up option on the camera for copying text, like pages from a book. They come out clearer than using the copy machine at the library, plus I have the benefit of running it through a character recognition program to convert the image to text.

If a company made a laptop computer more like the old bag-phones, where you open up a standard size keyboard and raised a monitor, it might be more useful than these sub-standard things everyone is playing around on. I honestly don't know how anyone gets any work at all done on a toy laptop. To me it's like trying to play piano music on a child's toy piano and expecting to get anything out of it more than what it really is, a cheap toy, or in the case of laptops, and overpriced toy. They all should be labeled Fisher Price, hi hi...

FWIW: Several of the study tables at our local library have a keyboard drawer on them, so you can type at the proper keyboard height. They don't open far enough to set a standard size laptop on. But since I bring my own separate keyboard with me, I can work away without worrying about getting Carpal Tunnel or something worse from working at the wrong height for typing.

They do have several computers there, but kids are always on them playing games or talking to friends on them, not using them for library type purposes. Many do not have internet at home so spend hours at the library using their equipment. They do try to control it to a certain extent, but have been quite lax in doing so the times I was there.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Feb 2015, 16:24

I can't get on with laptops, and prefer a keyboard which's angled instead of flat. Tablets and phones're alright if someone wants to work on the go and don't fancy carting a laptop/netbook around with them, but I wouldn't be happy using these small devices all the time.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 27 Feb 2015, 14:23

I think now I've seen everything.
A sewer line worker unrolled a rubber keyboard on the hood of his truck and plugged it into his cell phone. I could see him typing away from my window. I started to walk down there, but he finished, stuck the cell phone in his pocket and rolled the keyboard back up and tossed it in the truck.
I grabbed the mail from my box and went back up to the house.

I didn't know you could plug things into a cell phone like you can a tablet or laptop.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Feb 2015, 16:40

:shock:

Well I know you can recharge things - so presumably use them - from your car lighter socket - but apart from that, I couldn't even tell you how to plug my computer in!! :lol:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 28 Feb 2015, 14:51

Something I couldn't do on my old flip-phone was plug it into my computer to get the pictures off. If I wanted the photos I took from it, I had to sign up for something on their plan and upload them to their servers in order to download them down to my computer. So I never used my phones camera.

My new one, I can plug directly into my computer and see almost everything on it. Including the photo file, system files, etc. I can also create a folder on it to save some text data, maybe pictures too, haven't tried yet. As I think of things I need from the store, I place them on a list in my computer, then copy that list to my flip-fone from time to time, so if I'm near a store, I have my list with me.
I also keep other data handy on another list. Like what size furnace filters, vacuum bag type, and other household things which we can confuse once you are in the store seeing all the options.

The frau's schmartz-fone has small cards she can place in hers. Rather than plugging in her phone, she just takes the card and slips it in a slot on her computer. Don't know if this will wear it out or not, but at least it is replaceable.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Feb 2015, 20:32

I think it should be alright Gary. After all, that's what the cards are made to do.

I very rarely take photos, whether by phone or camera, so when I DO, I have to try and remember how to do everything again. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 01 Mar 2015, 13:11

I hear ya Icey.
If I don't do something every day, or at least once a week, I don't remember how by months end.
Drives me nuts too!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 01 Mar 2015, 14:54

Aww, well I give up easily! LOL!!! If I can't do something, I don't waste time puzzling over it. Next! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 02 Mar 2015, 10:30

Wish I could, most of the challenges I face or Must Do's or Die, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 02 Mar 2015, 12:41

Aww, bless. Well I've developed a different way of thinking to the one I had a few years back. I don't see the point in puzzling over how to do things and stressing out! If I can't do something, I let someone else have a go. If they can't do it, it probably gets left. Far nicer things to do in life than make it more difficult than it already is! LOL!! I used to call that attitude lazy. Now I find it sensible!! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 03 Mar 2015, 13:15

If at first you don't succeed, let somebody try who knows what they are doing, hi hi...

Trouble is, I'm the 'go-to' guy at work for when they have a problem.
Where another phrase comes into play, "The buck stops here!"
And if I don't fix it, I know where the door is, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 03 Mar 2015, 16:34

You seem incredibly adept at being able to do things Gary, and it's a good job there're folk like you around who can help us useless ones out! : )

People come to me if they want letters writing, or long-winded forms to fill out. I suppose we all find some things easier than others. I don't mind helping people out. They do enough for me in return, so it's only fair.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 04 Mar 2015, 15:36

For every single thing I know how to do, and do well, there are probably a hundred or a thousand things I have no idea how or what to do, and if I tried, it would be a disaster.

Each of us have skills and special talents we can do better than others, and some we really shine when doing, even to the level of perfecting the art beyond all others.

Now, if only we could figure out what that art is eh!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Mar 2015, 17:54

Well when it comes to DIY and making/understanding the mechanics of things, I think you certainly shine. Nothing like that holds any interest for me, and therefore I don't pretend to have any knowledge about these matters - because I don't have, but if we were all like this, no one'd ever invent things or even be able to use them. I agree with you that most people're good at something, but perhaps don't recognise their ability, or feel that they have no chance to show others what they can do.

When it comes to making things that do a specific job, you're singularly the best person I've ever known at it. I'm sure that you could devise no end of useful gadgets, or not get too stuck when current ones break down. Some of your posts've been a pleasure to read because you seem to have a remedy or an answer to things which'd have me completely stumped!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 05 Mar 2015, 11:00

I can honestly say, it comes from being POOR... And needing things you can't afford to get a job done.

You can laugh, but many of the products I made and sold from our workshops were made before I had the proper tools to do same. I used the product as the reason we needed the tool to become more efficient.
In other words, the product came first, so did some sales, from which we bought the tool and increased production exponentially to pay for the tool.

Often, in my working for others years. When I saw an ongoing problem, which could be resolved with a device, mechanical or otherwise, I would develop same at home, then take it to work to show the boss.
Almost everything I ever put the time and effort into building and working out the kinks at home before presenting, was put to use where I worked.
In a few cases, the company built a better device than I could using home tools, by having professional fabrication companies for the components from more durable materials. Either so they could make more of them cheaper, or for resale, or because they wanted it to last longer.
An item I made from wood and short PVC pipes, they had remade from aluminum and solid Nylon rods, but did not change the design one iota, only the materials it was made from. This also made it safer and less prone to breakage or wear.

Many things I made I could have done in a way which would be better, but at the time, I had to use what I had available to me. So although there are many ways to accomplish the same task, I had to chose the method which utilized the materials I had on hand.
Like my ashtray for example. I think you've seen it.
A blower, a spaghetti canister, and an empty peanut can with an old oil can spout for a lid.
Through a swimming pool vacuum hose, I exhaust the smoke from the ashtray, and exhaled smoke to outside the building. It's been working fine now for over a decade, although showing signs of wear and tear, hi hi...
It would have been better to use an external exhaust fan and a hood like is used over the large terrariums of the 1970s, but I didn't have those items in my junk box to work with. Nor could I find anyplace to buy the large funnel type lid I would need. Nor did I have the molding equipment to make my own.
So, I used what I had on hand, made something which would work, and have used it ever since.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Mar 2015, 11:13

Well it's innovative - and it works! Being poor had some advantages, it seems, but that's by the by. Not everyone can put to use what might be in their heads. You've obviously managed that extremely well, so hats off to you!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 06 Mar 2015, 08:46

Thank you Icey.
Could be because as a kid, I took everything apart to see what made it tick.
Curiosity! Then trying to get it back together again before dad found out, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Mar 2015, 14:51

I think you hit the nail on the head there Gary - curiosity. If kids're inquisitive and it's safe for them to look into the working of things, then I think that taking stuff apart and putting it back together's a good way of learning.

At 1 year of age, our eldest son not only took a plug apart, but managed to put it back together again. That bit amazed us, and he just went on from there. He later took apart an old computer, just to see where things went, and came top in IT at school. He certainly didn't get that from me. The very thought of it makes me feel ill. : )

If you have that sort of inquiring nature, I think you pick things up far more quickly than those of us who don't, but I truly think that your knowledge is something else. You must be a very handy guy to have around!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Brain Information