about race origins etc

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

about race origins etc

Postby pilvikki » 30 Jan 2015, 08:06

this looks interesting and i'll likely read it later, although i'm not in the mood to either read it or debate it today. just parking it here, in case anyone else is interested:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/race/
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: about race origins etc

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Jan 2015, 11:33

Oh blimey hun. Yes, it was interesting alright, but I find it impossible to comment on. It's more a thing for long philosophical debates, because points can be made not just after each paragraph, but following most sentences.

As with other complicated topics, you're always going to be either in agreement, or against what's been said.

If race, as Blum suggests, doesn't exist, then laws for racial equality and relations can't exist either, but I see the dividing line between race and ethnicity. I'm sure this's been debated over and over, but to what final conclusion - I've no idea, because it's something I'd have to read over several times in order to remember the various points and make a valid comment about.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 30 Jan 2015, 13:18

and today I could no make a valid point about the weather.... :roll:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Jan 2015, 17:41

Splutter with mirth! Well you've posted some food for thought anyway ... if someone has the mental dexterity to sift through it all properly. :lol:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 30 Jan 2015, 18:24

s
the funny thing is, I personally don't give a rat's rump about race etc, barring a curiosity about my own people's origins. thus far we're supposedly relatives with Nepalese (?), dutch, basque and whole potful of tribes barely having survived stalin and now sprinkled all over Siberia.

if that were settled, i'd lose that interest.

it's not that I've indifferent to various physical formats we fit into, I find them fabulous, but what is there to pick and poke about? people's people.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Jan 2015, 18:45

That's exactly how I see things as well. I might not agree with certain creeds, but different ways of living fascinate me. The colour of a person's skin's irrelevant, but I noticed within that article that it's suggested that people of certain ethnicity are predisposed to being of lower intelligence or more aggressive than others.

I can't really agree with that. How a person's brought up and educated bears witness to how they turn out, surely?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 31 Jan 2015, 20:27

ooh, that's a whole new can of worms... the priest's son usually having been the biggest dirtbag in town....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 01 Feb 2015, 00:45

I hear you, but it's not quite the same as race origins is it? I think it's wrong to say that just because a person has a different-coloured skin to our immediate own, that it makes them unintelligent or disposed to violence. In that respect, I think it's their upbringing, environment or lack of care/education which does it, NOT because they were born purple with orange spots on them, sort of thing.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 01 Feb 2015, 06:09

now, you really need to rethink that bit! what kind of person would you be if purple with orange spots on them? after all, those colours really clash!

:lmao4:

oh fine, going, going....

:tiptoe:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 01 Feb 2015, 14:42

LOL. It was just a colour scheme designed to illustrate no particular colour, but someone who might be seen as "different".
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information