Designer babies

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Designer babies

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Jan 2015, 21:17

The debate's long been going on, and now it's possible that "designer babies" are on their way.

If it prevents hereditary diseases from being passed on, then I agree that it'd be of enormous help, but scientists're able to design a child with intelligence or beauty in mind.

I don't agree with this, because beauty's only in the eye of the beholder anyway, and having attributes which're considered attractive don't necessarily come with more useful human traits. Intelligence may not cover all categories either.

Do you agree with this being done, or are you of the opinion that nature should be left to sort out the gene pool?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742774
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Designer babies

Postby AJRC » 19 Jan 2015, 10:37

I think it'll all come down to money, if you have enough of it you can have any baby you want.

I don't think nature should just be allowed to have it's way, if that was the case many more babies would die every year, science must always strive to be better than nature. But better doesn't always mean right! Will we have a society of intelligent people, genetically superior to us. Will people be literally born into jobs. Will genetic defects be eradicated. The possibilities are endless.

If you think about it, we have designers babies now. You choose your partner because of what they look like, if you're good looking you wouldn't choose a partner that wasn't. Just as it's in our nature to think about our child's looks, a good looking partner usually means a good looking child. That may sound vain and shallow but it's human nature.

I believe in people having the choice, if they want a designer baby then they should be allowed to have one. Doesn't mean I agree it's right, but I believe in the freedom of choice.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 19 Jan 2015, 10:52

In essence I would agree with Andy, but in practice life changing technology does not always work out as anticipated. If we are suddenly able to produce a generation of highly intelligent and beautiful people, will they decide us ugly old folks are wasting valuable resources and do away with us? It's the logical and intelligent thing to do.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Jan 2015, 17:39

*I don't think nature should just be allowed to have it's way, if that was the case many more babies would die every year, science must always strive to be better than nature.

This's what I said above, Andy. If life-threatening diseases and problems which might handicap a child in later life can be eradicated, then I'm all for it, but we don't actually have designer babies right now.

Our choice of partner obviously boils down to basic instinct, in that if we're attracted to someone who we find handsome, beautiful and/or fit, we consider that any children resulting from the union'll be good looking as well, but what one finds attractive, another won't, and this's the diversity of the gene pool and why I believe it should be left alone.

It's not all about physical looks either. How many times have you seen an "ugly" person with a good-looking spouse? You wonder why ... how could they ... and it's not necessarily about money. Subconsciously, pheromones attract us to people that others might not find pleasant to look at. All sorts of traits draw us towards someone, and trying to design a child which the parents might think's going to be classed as beautiful might, in fact, not happen. We're initially attracted by looks, but after that, the draw comes from personality, their mindset and umpteen other attributes.

As Yogi says, if we produce a generation of perfect people, what's going to happen to those who fall below the "acceptable" level? Will they be refused jobs, "outed" for not having the same intelligence as the rest, blah blah? I believe that everyone has something to offer, and whilst most of us find our own children beautiful anyway, I really don't see the reasoning or sense behind trying to meddle with nature. It brings to mind an Aryan race, and how do we know that genetically modifying human beings to such a great extent might not work out as well as the scientists hoped for? If everyone becomes cloned, it'll make for a very boring future.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 21 Jan 2015, 07:55

So ... you are ok with genetically modified babies, but refuse to eat or allow such foods in your diet. Very interesting. :think:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Jan 2015, 14:08

I'm NOT OK with genetically altering babies so that they fall in with the wishes of parents who want to create their "ideal" child - as I said above - but removing the genetic material which causes life-threatening illnesses could save many lives, and I don't think there're many prospective parents who wouldn't agree with that.

At present, if a couple know that their child's going to be born with Huntingdon's Disease, haemophilia etc., they either decide on termination or bring that child into the world anyway. Neither of those are good options, but the only choice they have if they haven't been able to prevent the pregnancy in the first place. If such things could be eradicated before birth by removing the DNA responsible, I feel that, for the sake of the child, the genetic work'd be of benefit.

I won't go into the ins and out of GM foodstuff, as it's been basically covered several times before, but organisms can be crossed in the process and be injurious to other plants and human health.

It's each to their own opinion, but designing the looks of a child, just because of parental preference or social pressure seems wrong to me. If, for instance, parents'd like a brown-haired blue-eyed child, a baby can be genetically modified with the use of a third “parent”- who'll be the donor for mitochondria inserted into the embryo. The results're highly probable, but not foolproof. It's the same if a couple'd like a child with an athletic body. They might get that, but it doesn't mean that their child'll want to compete in sports, as was perhaps hoped for, so would the disappointed parents make that child feel bad about not living up to expectations, or might the child feel cheated by not being born as nature intended and regard themselves as an experiment? I just feel that it's an ethical dilemma that could have far worse implications in the future.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 21 Jan 2015, 19:56

A, B, C, D...

new, brave world...

Huxley made a very interesting point about that in his book.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Jan 2015, 20:45

Indeed.

Without doubt, science's coming on in huge leaps and bounds, and some for the best, but if a parent can't love their child unless it has the desirable traits they hope for, then they shouldn't be having children in the first place. This "perfect body and beauty" lark's getting past a joke.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 23 Jan 2015, 11:07

or... hey, we can just tweak them until they look/act as desired...

toddlers with tiaras ring a bell?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Jan 2015, 17:51

Yes! : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Flawless » 23 Jan 2015, 22:09

Lest we forget that toddlers and tiaras gave us honey boo boo....
Flawless
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 24 Jan 2015, 15:57

never seen that, but the mere thought....

:snoot: :snoot: :snoot:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Flawless » 24 Jan 2015, 21:00

Let me put it to you this way, the show has been cancelled because the mother started a relationship with a guy that molested one or more of her daughters...
Flawless
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Jan 2015, 21:12

Oh god, I hadn't heard about that one, but Honey Boo Boo's been exploited, and turned into a precocious child. It's brought the family some better finances in, but how will it affect the girl when she's dropped for the next money-spinning child who comes along?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information