god in real estate

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

god in real estate

Postby pilvikki » 08 Jan 2015, 18:37

pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: god in real estate

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Jan 2015, 20:49

Who exactly's responsible for this crack-pot idea?

Does it mean that the Mayor and Council can tell those who live there that god's ordered them to pay more taxes - or will they be exempt? How many new "laws" will god deem to pass onto the townsfolk?

I think the water must be contaminated in those parts! It's driving everyone barmy. :shock:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 09 Jan 2015, 13:16

God made the world so he already owns it!
Man and Poly-TICK-ians, and so-called religious leaders are WHO divided the planet up.

Sounds to me like Winfield, Alabama is the only city doing the RIGHT THING!

Our Country was built with God as it's Head. Almost every monument and government building is dedicated to Him, and has His Name embellished on it.

Separation of Church and State has absolutely nothing to do with how the ignorant atheists define it.
It simply means government shall not own or dictate a religion, so we have religious freedom to worship as we please without government intervention.
It was NEVER intended to take God out of the affairs of government.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Jan 2015, 15:54

I agree that the resident who said: "unique transfer of title might well violate the separation of church and state" was said in the wrong vein, but you can't blame people for thinking like that, ignorant as their comprehension of it may be.

For those who believe that God's the head of everything - that's right in a way - but then you could say that about every country on earth.

Would Winfield be happy if it was flooded with Muslims who wanted to build mosques on every street corner? Their god's the same as ours, but just called by a different name, so in theory, anyone should be able to move in and worship as they see fit without government or residents' interference.

Perhaps it's the way in which this declaration's been worded? Who assumed that God'd be wanted to be known as the "landlord" anyway? A body of ordinary people've made this idea public. God didn't appear and make his wishes known.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 09 Jan 2015, 16:44

If they're religious people I'm sure this counts as "taking the Lord's name in vain".
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jan 2015, 14:58

I don't think it was intended to refer to man-made religions with their many different gods or idols.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Jan 2015, 14:05

I still think it's a huge and ambiguous statement to make. if you look at it from a Godly way, then everything we know's controlled and owned by him, but while man lives, he unfortunately decides which areas of land he's going to control. You're right Gary - Man and Poly-TICK-ians, and so-called religious leaders are WHO divided the planet up.

I think it might've been better to say that Winfield considers itself free from political restraint - it being part of what nature gave to us. Once you start mentioning God as being "this and that", it's bound to cause controversy, and possible scorn or anger amongst those who don't believe in God as most of us accept.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 14 Jan 2015, 05:43

Sounds like the loonies are out in force in this small town, no surprise that it's in Alabama. So now they can do what ever they want and say it's the will of god. Mind control at it's worst!
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 14 Jan 2015, 17:13

and my favourite: "god works in mysterious ways."
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Jan 2015, 17:22

I think what we're doing, is interpreting the statement as it literally seems to come over, but Gary's put another side to it.

As aforementioned, I think the wording was wrong. Most folk'd read it in the sense that most of us on here took it to mean, and in that respect, it sounds ridiculous.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 16 Jan 2015, 05:31

I think with it being in Alabama the wording probably isn't wrong and it's exactly how it sounds. “
City Under God,” with full acknowledgement of the Supreme Being as “owner.
That sounds like they really mean they want their town to be owned by god. As others on the Internet have said it's a very small town, population of 4,617. But I bet not every person is christian, and i hope they have the chance to stand up for their rights and not have religion forced on them.

It's the same argument with the Pledge of Allegiance, people believe that “'under god'” should be taken out as it's insulting to non believers. For too long religion had a strangle hold on society, but times have changed. For the better i might add. To have a town owned by a made up god and to have to pledge to a made up god should not be happening in 2015!
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Jan 2015, 12:20

Jews have the SAME God as Christians, and the same set of commandments!

Atheists may not believe in God, which is there prerogative, and to deny they were created.

Even so, they cannot negate the moral laws established by God.
Without moral laws, we have no society.

No one is forcing them, or anyone else for that matter, to follow the ceremonial or religious laws, which are inherent to each religion. But they do have to follow the moral laws, whether man-made or instructed by God, as they are one in the same anyhow.

If you don't want to go by the ten commandments, then go by civil laws.
At the very least go by the golden rule, or you are not fit to live in society.
Simple as that!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Jan 2015, 20:39

I think we have separate issues here.

For those who believe in God and the Commandments, they were dictated to provide laws to live by. Allah (God) also dictated moral laws to live by, through the prophet Muhammad. These rules aren't dissimilar actually, and many parts of the Qur'an agree with the Bible. The Qur'an also devotes 15 chapters to Jesus, but the difference being that they don't see him as the son of God, but the son of Mary. They agree that Jesus was produced from a virgin birth, via God's will.

So saying, man makes the laws which we humans live by, but all living things live by the laws of nature. Whether this was created by God or not, boils down to belief.

To have a society which functions well, we have to have rules to abide by, otherwise there'd be chaos. Plenty of these rules, or laws, are broken though, but it doesn't mean that a person who does this isn't fit to live in a particular society.

If we look at the Commandments as an example, these rules appear to be a good standard by which to live, but they don't always work. A person surely wouldn't want to honour their mother and father if these people were cruel, uncaring or even murderous beings? So if they behaved in a better and different way (going against the rule), you're saying that these people aren't fit to live in society? I'd say they were far more fit to, than the parents.

Then you have the subject of adultery. I don't agree with it myself, but it happens. I don't think it makes someone any the less fit to live amongst us.

The same goes for "Thy shalt not steal". I think just about everyone's stolen something at some time in their lives, whether it's a pen or paperclip from work, or if they find money on the floor which they pick up and keep. It's still stealing, so how strictly do you obey that Commandment? It doesn't make a person unfit to live amongst his/her neighbours.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 17 Jan 2015, 05:36

Everyone has to follow the laws, not sure where this thread is going now?
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 17 Jan 2015, 07:20

atm I live in a very catholic country. so, you'd expect high ethics, yes?

well, thus far, in 2 year's time, I've had my wallet stolen out of my purse, while I was wearing it, twice. my phone was stolen, my daughter's wallet - twice, her phone, once.

that's 6 X in 2 years!

in Canada I've had my wallets/purses returned to me when I've left them behind.

finland, one of the most godless countries on the planet is regarded the most honest and needs constant warnings in public places due to gangs coming up from your god-fearing countries to fleece the "gullible" finns.

so much for god's laws, versus upbringing.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Jan 2015, 21:36

And I think Vikki's put that very well. It's precisely the sort of example that I was heading towards.

We have to have laws and rules to structure a society and for it to be (reasonably) efficient, but whether that means following the Commandments or not's open to interpretation.

If people believe that the Commandments were instructed by God, then fair enough, but even the most devout can break one or two of them. Man's not without sin, so it's going to happen. I don't think we need a list of "laws", which were, at the end of the day, written by man, wherever the inspiration came from.

As Vikki says, upbringing and common sense play a big part in how someone's going to turn out, but even church ministers break the rules, as we've seen with all the paedophile activity, vicars and priests running off with someone's wife and other misdemeanors which've been carefully hidden.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Wonderbunny » 01 Feb 2015, 13:32

The majority of Christians don't seem to practise what they preach.
Wonderbunny
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 01 Feb 2015, 14:47

Exactly. Hooray for those who do, but they're very often hypocrites, or feel that they're somehow better than the rest and frown on those who don't think in the same way. Pretty much like those from all religions then.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information