Lost

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Lost

Postby van » 19 Oct 2014, 03:35

Kia ora

I confess I am somewhat at a loss nowadays deciding where various topics ought to be aired. Feel free to relocate them if I am in error.

What if anything, or benefit has "Artificial" , of anything, benefited mankind?

Many of us have seen the change from natural to artificial yet, from my perspective over time, we have regressed rather than progressed.
Views?

Arohanui
Aio
Bill

PS. Just rattling some chains :think:
van
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Lost

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Oct 2014, 18:40

In general, anything "artificial" disinterests me, but it has its uses - artificial limbs, enabling people to use their hands, arms or legs again, and there're also other artificial body parts which extend or give life to some people.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 20 Oct 2014, 09:56

Just about everything you see in front of you has some "artificial" component in it. All those items have in some way improved the quality of life for mankind, otherwise we'd still be living in caves and foraging for our food. That might have been a less complicated way of living, but then there weren't 7.5 billion residents on this planet back then. I don't see artificial as being intrinsically bad. There just aren't enough natural resources to sustain the quality of life we all experience these days.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 20 Oct 2014, 13:11

I don't particularly like Artificial Foods, but since REAL Food is often no longer available, we get used to the replicated taste over time.

Almost everything else must be Artificial, because it doesn't occur naturally.
Although you could make a mallet by wrapping rawhide around a stick.
I much prefer a good old hammer and nails, over driving square pegs into a round hole.
Albeit, the square pegs in round holes held up a whole lot longer than iron nails did, hi hi...

I've sorta become accustomed to the convenience of artificial light too. You know, sunshine in a bottle, that comes on at the flip of a switch.

I think the closest thing I have to mother nature is my computer. All the chips inside are made from silicon! And the case is made from oils and metals, ☺.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 20 Oct 2014, 13:41

artificial to me often denotes plastic. I don't like plastic, even though I realize it's often a necessary evil.

as for artificial light... is it really? after all, it's the same TM as lightning... :lol:
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Kellemora » 21 Oct 2014, 13:02

Metal starts out as Mineral ORE taken from the ground, processed and refined, then either rolled or poured into a mold to make a metal item.
    Plastic starts out as a Mineral taken from the ground, processed and refined, then either rolled or poured into a mold to make a plastic item.
    Glass starts out as a Mineral taken from the ground, processed and refined, then either rolled or poured into a mold to make a glass item.

Albeit, glass and metal are non-porous and all plastics are porous, which is why foods spoil in plastic so fast.

Melting points. Some plastics have melting points higher than metals, although most melting points are quite low, about like styrene candles.

Mercury is a METAL, which is LIQUID at room temperature. Just thought I would throw that in there!

I would say the only lighting source that is similar to lightning would be a carbon arc rod, as used in early movie projectors, and for heating to welding temperatures.
    Light Bulbs use a filament, heated to the point it glows, and by placing it in a vacuum it does not instantly oxidize so can last for many hours before burning out.

Beyond that, we are getting into gasses and luminescent coatings, or electronics.
    Kellemora
    Brainiac Class Poster
    Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Brain Information