Facial psychology

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Facial psychology

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Oct 2014, 20:01

I've been reading what psychologists say about those with "trusting faces", and wondered if you agree with them.

It appears that males and females who have brown eyes're accepted by most others as being more trustworthy than those with other coloured eyes, especially blue ones, but it's now agreed that it's not just eye colour, but other traits as well.

Given photos to put into order of trustworthiness, a research team found that a man with large brown eyes, an upturned mouth, and a square or prominent chin was seen as not only being more masculine than his counterparts, but was judged to be more trustworthy than the rest.

When a woman with the same physical attributes was presented, the group found only a slight difference between her and women with blue, grey or green eyes, but a down-turned mouth in both males and females was seen by everyone as less attractive and less trustworthy.

Eyebrow shape also came into it. Men with eyebrows that're close together were seen as bad-tempered or mean, and yet if his eyes were large and brown, the closely-knit brows were perceived as a sign of someone who was more honest than the rest and also as an achiever.

Women with light blue eyes were deemed as being sexier than women who had brown eyes, but slightly less trustworthy than the rest, and narrow eyes and thin lips on both sexes were seen as the least trustworthy of all.

I found it quite interesting.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Facial psychology

Postby pilvikki » 17 Oct 2014, 08:37

oh dear, I have what's called BRF, or a 'bitchy resting face'. in other words, when i'm not doing anything with it, it settles into the downturned mouth pose. so you always look grumpy. and now dishonest as well.

ugh.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Oct 2014, 14:18

Oh hugs!!! I never noticed such a thing, and remember, this was just on a research level. How many people took part in it? There're exceptions to every rule anyway, but even when people DON'T have down-turned mouths, lines which can develop later on sometimes give that effect when the face's relaxed. I just saw a smiling pretty face!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 17 Oct 2014, 17:44

aw, gee, thanks! :oops:

no, really, if i'm tired and just shuffling along, I do look like I could kill in cold blood. no getting away from it...

mind you, it saves me from being accosted by sales people in the malls. :dance:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Oct 2014, 19:21

LOOOL! :lmao4:

I'm sure you aren't as you see yourself, because I honestly never noticed, so I doubt others do, either.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 18 Oct 2014, 09:16

well, actually, I've suddenly looked into a shop window or a random places mirror - and scared myself! :lmao1:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Oct 2014, 12:11

Now don't! :lmao4: Oh you make me laugh, but you look fine, honestly. We all have days where we feel better than others, but I don't think many other people study us in great detail.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 18 Oct 2014, 17:46

true enough. also, one's face is rarely absolutely still.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Oct 2014, 20:18

I think mine's fairly still when I'm asleep! : )

Then again .... maybe I pull faces during dreaming, or the mouth drops open, or ... well it doesn't really matter when you're flat out, does it? : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information