Average Weight

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Average Weight

Postby Yogi » 15 Oct 2014, 07:00

Each woman in the photograph weights the same 154 pounds. We all carry weight differently but this graphic is totally amazing. I guess it applies to males as well.

[ img ]

http://seeinnerbeauty.wordpress.com/201 ... -a-number/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Average Weight

Postby pilvikki » 15 Oct 2014, 11:49

average?

lol! at 130 I was overweight according to all those evil charts and at 135 my doctor gave me diet pills!

:roll:

now I wish I were 154... oh well, 10-15 to go... but not going to see 154 on my scale in this life.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Oct 2014, 16:19

I've seen that chart before, and it does indeed look like each woman weighs differently, because of their height factor and mid-girth, but yes, they all weigh the same.

I don't take much notice of these average weight charts, because what might feel and look right to one person, wouldn't to another.

I have a friend who weighs the same as myself atm, although I want to lose at least another half stone. My friend's 5ft. nothing, but doesn't look particularly large because her legs're chunkier than mine. We both share another mutual friend who's about 5ft - 5ft. 1", and she weighs in at 105lbs, which's well under what us two are, but she just looks petite.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Oct 2014, 11:38

No offense ladies, but women are not as dense as men (I didn't mean it that way Icey), so they may be larger volume wise (displacement), but weigh less than a man of equal volume.

Or another way of putting it, women are more fluffy and softer.
Like comparing a block of foam rubber to a block of wood, or lead if you prefer.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Oct 2014, 19:09

LOL Gary. I'm pleased that you see us as "fluffy and softer", but in a woman's eyes, softer means .... fat! : )

I know what you mean really, but don't be fooled! To become soft and pleasant to look at, it sometimes takes a great deal of hard work. I've seen women with hairy legs like a man's, and our curves (lumps and bumps) can be a pain in the rear to sustain or get rid of.

It's true to say that men and women carry their weight in different places. It's usual for a man to have padding on his chest (not that women don't!), but women tend to put it on round the hips. It doesn't sound any better when we're told that it's for child-bearing purposes. You wouldn't believe how many women've complained to me about their thighs, and other hard-to-shift places, but to me, they've looked alright. I think it's an occupational hazard for women to pick fault with themselves, because we see all these ads of beautiful slim women and're led to believe that this's the "norm".

AS for weight, I don't believe that there's a right or wrong one, except for if someone becomes obese out of their poor eating habits and lack of exercise, but some men prefer to see a woman who's nicely rounded. Again, it's not really an expression that us ladies like though, because it just means the same thing - fat! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Oct 2014, 11:09

All of my gals have been In-Shape, round is a shape, hi hi...

One of the time wasters I spent time watching was a medical college experiment.

They had this big tank of water they filled to overflowing. Had subjects sit on this platform they lowered into the tank, causing it to overflow. They would lower the platform until the person sitting on the platform was totally submerged, then lift them back out right away. They had to sit on the platform until they quit dripping, then they could get out and dry off.
They took a measurement of the amount of water displaced by each person, and recorded it along with their individual weights.
This is how I learned that women displace more water than men of the same weight. Which simply means, women are physically larger in size than a man of the same weight. Thus my phrase, women are not as dense as men, hi hi...

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Oct 2014, 14:42

Now you DO surprise me there Gary, unless it's that the women just flopped into the water, whereas the men slid in with agility - but then, you said they were sitting on a platform? How odd.

In a similar fashion, where gravity comes into play, if you drop a 6lb bag of snooker balls and a 6lb bag of feathers from 50ft, both'll hit the ground at the same time, so I wonder how a man and a woman, weighing the same, can displace water in different amounts? It probably has to do with the body fat of the individuals, because if both weighed 112lbs, for instance, the female carries more fat than her counterpart. Well, something like that anyway.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 17 Oct 2014, 17:41

it's simple: muscle weighs more than fat and women are predisposed to carrying more fat than men.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Oct 2014, 19:20

Yep - that's what I thought, but you put it more aptly. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 18 Oct 2014, 10:56

It's a known fact, women have an extra layer of softness that men do not have.

Displacement tests are used for hundreds of things. Not that I know what for, hi hi...

I had a teacher that used this to his advantage when teaching, he used objects in jars, starting with large objects which filled a jar. He was a cool teacher. By showing instead of telling, we learned a whole lot more from him. He was big on graphics too!
I may have never understood algebra very well, but geometry which used algebra, was a cinch when represented graphically. By the end of the year, we could look at a formula and actually see a picture of it in our headbones. So if there was a mistake in the formula, it would stick out like a sore thumb when you visualized it graphically.
Shame I forgot how to do that, it was over forty years ago.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Oct 2014, 12:01

Hi Gary.

Yes, it's great when you have a teacher who can explain things which're going to lodge in our memories, isn't it?

I can remember seeing various objects being immersed into beakers of water, and we had to measure the displacement against the weight of each item. This was in our physics lessons - and I actually passed the final exam - just! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Oct 2014, 10:10

Of all the things they did teach us in skewl. I never had to use 1% of it. And if the time came I had to use something, I had to learn it all over again anyhow. Then when I no longer needed to know it, I promptly forgot and would have to study it again to use it again.

It's weird how I have people I've not talked to in decades call me up with a question about something.
They remembered how I helped them understand how to do something, often in great detail. But now I can't even remember the names of the items they are talking about, much less how to do anything with them. Not because of my medical condition, but because if you don't use something almost daily, it fades away. Affects everyone I know! Well, except my Aunt Mary who never forgot a single thing. She could tell you the birthdates and anniversaries of every family member, what they wore at the wedding, what time it started raining, and what clothes their kids wore when they started kindergarten. The lady had an amazing memory, and correct 99.999% of the time too!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Oct 2014, 13:38

My parents're like that. They never seem to forget anything - names, faces, places, birthdays, appointments - you name it.

You DO remember a lot though Gary, but probably don't realise it. For instance, you can educate us on here by telling us how something used to work, what parts did what, how you rectified a problem .... I think that shows a pretty keen mind. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 20 Oct 2014, 12:59

Told ya, I was a walking encyclopedia of useless information, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 20 Oct 2014, 13:43

not so useless my friend! and if I do live long enough for us to buy our own house, i'll be picking your brain, so do keep it sharpened, yes? :dance:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Oct 2014, 16:54

Vikki took the words right out of my mouth - not so useless at all.

You have a good mind Gary, and you have extensive knowledge of things which the rest of us wouldn't have a clue about. OK., so this info might not always be used these days, but you can solve various problems by falling back on the knowledge you've gained, and I'm sure that the ability to see beyond a problem hasn't got totally lost on you. You under-estimate yourself.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information