nobel peace prize!

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

nobel peace prize!

Postby pilvikki » 10 Oct 2014, 09:45

finally!

yay! :dance:

and let the bitching begin... yes! there really are people who think her getting shot was merely a publicity stunt so she could get herself a book deal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nobel-peace-prize-malala-yousafzai-kailash-satyarthi-win-2014-award-1.2794701

and it figures I've ever heard of kailash satyarthi; after all, he didn't kill anyone...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: nobel peace prize!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Oct 2014, 13:08

It's a miracle the girl's alive. No one'd put themselves through that just for a publicity stunt.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 10 Oct 2014, 15:36

it ought to penetrate even the thickest skull, but nope... they're out there.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Oct 2014, 18:38

I know, but it's as you say - these people're either dumb or insensitive; both.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 11 Oct 2014, 19:29

and in Pakistan, the Taliban is busily spreading trash about her being a CIA spy and just a western puppet.

they are some real pieces of flotsam.

:bleh:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Oct 2014, 20:13

It's probably because they have to brainwash their recruits into thinking that anything westernised's evil. Without keeping it up, they'd more than likely have no followers. Funny how if people manage to leave their home countries, they suddenly find themselves wanting what the rest of us have. You don't find too many wanting to go back home, do you?

I think what Malala's done was very brave for a kid her age, but on the other hand, it was foolhardy. The rest of the world are willing to listen to her, but many of her own countrymen see her as a threat, and her existence probably isn't going to be the peaceful one that she deserves.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Oct 2014, 14:27

as far as I know she lives in England now; she has to smuggles out of Pakistan and still gets regular servings of death threats. the Taliban is going to lose its tiny mind, not because of the prize, they'd think it's rubbish anyway. but the prestige and the money! oh, that'll sting.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Oct 2014, 16:07

Yes, she lives in the UK with her father now. He's been given a diplomatic job, which enables him - them - to stay in the UK for 5 years. After that, I don't know. I'm sure that they'll find a way of allowing them to stay, but what's been of enormous help to the girl, could come back to haunt her. There're people here that might be jealous of all that they've been given, and if Malala goes back home, it's a very dangerous thing for her to undertake.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Oct 2014, 11:28

where's the rest of her family, they all moved there, I think?

and no way can she ever move back to Pakistan: she could just as well paint a target on her forehead.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Oct 2014, 18:03

Actually you're right. The whole family're with her now, but when she was first flown to the UK, I believe it was her father who was with her, probably while they arranged for the rest of her family to join her.

And yes, if she ever went back to Pakistan, she'd be a sitting duck - or married off. She's said that had she stayed, she'd have been found a husband and become his slave. Someone'd already put an offer of marriage in. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 14 Oct 2014, 14:06

interesting culture... "well, Abdul, i'm a bit short of cash at the moment, but I've got this 12 year old still hanging around the house..."
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Oct 2014, 16:00

That's exactly it! I watched a couple of vids about young Iranian brides a few months ago, and it was really sad. The only thing I can say in defence of it, was that when interviewed, these women might not've been exactly happy, but were looked after reasonably well - until one man brought home his latest teenage bride, which made the others jealous.

Although the parents like to have sons, they also like to have a daughter or two that they can get a dowry for. In such poverty-stricken places, this can mean the difference between living or starving, since the dowry isn't just a matter of money, but livestock're also given. This enables the father to set up a small farmstead, where the animals can breed and provide milk and meat, and young goats're sometimes sold at markets.

In one of the particular vids, the husband with 4 wives was considered kind by his wives. He didn't beat his women, apart from one who got a thwack with a stick when she was deemed infertile, poor soul, but she later managed to get pregnant, and then her husband was happy with her again!

In the second vid, I was surprised at the amount of women who go to Sharia courts to gain divorces. I wasn't surprised that they wanted one, but surprised that in many cases, they were given it. If the man was found to've been unfair to his wife, and not feed her, for instance, she was granted a divorce, and the husband had to pay back the dowry to her family. However, in some cases, although the wife was given her freedom, this sometimes meant giving up her children to the husband, and a couple of them managed to escape with their kids and find their way to the city, where, unbelievably, they have a sort of women's refuge for such cases. It was interesting, if a bit harrowing in parts.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information