the new sexism...

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

the new sexism...

Postby pilvikki » 03 Oct 2014, 04:03

in ads. funny thing, I have a friend who is SO proud of unilever's efforts on equality that I don't have the heart to tell her how horrid they are. and while they sing the praises of women in their dove ads, they trash women in their ads for men. how sincere does that some across?

their ideas were reasonable, but they just could not pull it off.

here are some points made by Cracked of all people:

http://www.cracked.com/video_19066_5-bizarrely-specific-sexist-stereotypes-in-modern-ads.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100214
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: the new sexism...

Postby Ice.Maiden » 03 Oct 2014, 05:43

Yes, I see what you mean, although we just laugh at things like that over here, because everyone knows that "men're men" and us girls are ... well, girls. Sexism DOES come into a lot of ads, but then you have others where the ladies get their own back, and sometimes make the men look total idiots. Not really fair in either case I suppose, but there's often a lot of humour attached to these ads - whilst quietly putting one of the sexes down. : (

It's funny you should post about this, because yesterday, I was reading some comments about Germaine Greer - the "typical feminist", and almost every female reply objected to her stance on things.

Germaine'd said that the Duchess of Cambridge's no more than a breeding machine, and that it's ridiculous to have her children so close together. The objectors said perhaps her and William WANT to, and then went on to make some very derogatory remarks about Ms. Greer. From the posts, it was obvious that the tide's beginning to change re. how women see their roles in society.

As much as more and more women're gradually taking up jobs within "a man's world", there're even more who now ask why a woman shouldn't just be a housewife and mother without feeling guilty. According to the general feel, they said that there's no harder job than raising children, and none so fulfilling.

The comments went on and on, saying that women such as Germaine were masculine and unattractive, and that there's no need to prove our worth amongst men. They said males're being undermined, and they still prefer homely, feminine women to ones who try to be their equals.

It was an interesting read, especially considering that the comments all came from other women, so I wonder if some of these overtly sexist ads ARE particularly wrong? When men get together, they have their gripes about us ladies, just as much as we do about them. Why NOT show it as it is, and just have a giggle over them?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 03 Oct 2014, 16:36

I've an idea: lets have all these women who crave s c traditional roles for Everybody spend a couple of years in the middle east, where men are ever so manly...

germaine greer is one of those who has helped us go back to a time when women had value other than for cooking and breeding.

she used to answer her letters way back when. I had a reply from her some 40 yrs ago...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 03 Oct 2014, 17:56

I take your point, BUT, I think there're two separate issues here.

To take women back 500 years and to be totally obedient to their menfolk, just isn't on. These poor women in under-developed countries have to suffer all sorts of things at the hands of their dominant partners, but fortunately for us, Germaine, and the rest of us, live in societies where we have a choice, although undoubtedly there're still men around who think that us females serve only the basic purposes - breeding, cooking, cleaning, end of. An educated woman might be seen as a threat, god forbid!

On the other hand, because I'm a stay-at-home wife, I can empathise with those who're in the same position and enjoy their role, as I do, and I know a few women who work full-time, who say they'd love to be given the opportunity to stay at home with their children, especially whilst young.

From my own point of view, I think it's right that women should have freedom of choice. In fact, in the UK this's being taken away from them, with women almost being expected to go back to work asap after having their families, which I think's wrong.

Where a person feels they have little choice in the matter, I think it's a shame, because many COULD stay at home, but obviously their lifestyles dictate that a second income's important, and yes, it is, but not at the expense of having kids to palm them off as soon as they're born. No, I don't agree with that at all. What's the point of having children at all if you're never there to spend quality time with them?

For me, marriage meant trying for a family and being there to look after them. If I'd wanted a career, I wouldnt've got married when I did, but I'm far from an idle person, and probably work more hours than if I was out in the world working for someone else.

My situation suited me. I've always been around for the kids and haven't had to rely on outside help even when the going was tough. I brought my children into the world on a planned basis, and consider it my duty to be here for them.

However, this isn't possible for a lot of people, and others couldn't/wouldn't put up with it. I admire anyone who can work hard and yet still find time to play with and care for their kids, because if someone goes out to work as well, it must be exhausting.

This's also the sort of sentiment that was being posted by women opposed to Germaine's outlook. Myself, I think it's up to the individual, but in my own case, what I've done's been right for myself and my family.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 04 Oct 2014, 15:47

exactly! it drives me nuts when people declare it all has to be done the way they think is right!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Oct 2014, 17:47

I agree with you. Each person has their own take on life. It's certainly not wrong for mums to work if they wish to, and it's not wrong for those who'd rather be at home - but sadly, some can't do the latter as finances dictate otherwise.

Well, at the end of the day, men and women're equal in many things these days, but as I said at first, men are men, and women're women. We don't always think alike, and can't, because nature decides otherwise. I don't think there'll ever be a time when we're totally androgenous, and personally, I wouldn't like us to be.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information