Traffic Laws [split]

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Re: Traffic Laws [split]

Postby pilvikki » 12 Sep 2014, 15:34

I would, too, but I think it only works on grandkids and yes, I used that in a huge bar called Septembers in Buffalo, in ...1997.

:lol:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Sep 2014, 16:38

:o

:lol:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 13 Sep 2014, 13:02

No matter how complicated they make an ID card, drivers license or our fiat money, there are those who will still make counterfeits.
However, they usually use a single Mask and just add the photo, and sometimes the name. They don't bother changing the serial numbers. Or at least they didn't back in the era I was referring to.

As many security measures as are placed in our paper currency. Those accepting the bills only know of a couple, so may not spot a counterfeit bill. People who handle a lot of money can tell by the feel, but not always, as real bills can be altered.
Besides the printed serial number, there are other code numbers on the bills also.
On a 20 dollar bill, they are: One under the 20 in the top right hand corner, one under the serial number on the left side, and one in the lower left corner.
On a 10 dollar bill, they are: Near top center, and the same as above for the rest.
On a 5, they are: Lower right corner, and the same as above for the rest.
One dollar bills have a simpler but like kind system.
BUT, all bills are marked on the back as to their location on the printed sheet of bills before the sheets are cut.
There is a definite correlation between the serial number and the number on the back of the bill.
A counterfeiter could begin with a serial number and assume top left of the printed sheet, and make his back numbers follow the proper pattern, to help deter detection for a little longer time period. But most will not go to all that trouble. They will use the same plate for the back on all their bills. Sometimes even the same serial number on the front of each, or perhaps only use 100 different serial numbers. So no two are alike in a bundle of 100 bills. The bills do eventually get caught, sometimes they pass through banks several times before being spotted. I know, I was the recipient of one from a bank once myself. I spotted it, so don't why the bank didn't, lousy printing job too. But then some of our real bills are pretty bad too.

As far as the pens they use in stores on 20s to detect a counterfeit bill. They are one of the easiest things to defeat, so I don't know why they bother.
Well, idiots who try to make counterfeit bills using a copy machine on wood pulp based starch paper will be stopped easily, as the Iodine in the Pen turns normal paper BLACK.
I guess that's good since it stops these wanna be counterfeiters.
They could use a counteracting chemical to stop the pens from working, but they would need to know which brand pen the store is using to get it right.

A real counterfeiter would never use a wood pulp based paper. They would use rag/linen paper, which these pens cannot detect. So it is easier to pass counterfeit bills at busy stores like Walmart or chain grocers. The cashiers rely on the pens, so don't examine bills very closely at all.

One other method some use is to simply bleach one dollar bills and reprint a higher denomination on them.
A few only change the numbers on the front, and do an awful job of doing it, but seem to get by with it.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Sep 2014, 15:29

in Canada they run all bills by a scanner and they seem to be working.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Sep 2014, 16:45

These're the security features on our paper money, using the £20 as an example:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknote ... ty_20.aspx
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Sep 2014, 19:16

mine don't stick around long enough to study! :lol:

but that was quite interesting!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Kellemora » 14 Sep 2014, 10:10

That's cool Icey.
Amazing what governments go through to protect their Fiat Currency, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Sep 2014, 17:12

It's like monopoly money to me, because as soon as you break into a note of any denomination - it seems to magically disappear.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Sep 2014, 08:47

Ain't that the truth!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Sep 2014, 09:27

I'm terrible if I see something that I want. Unfortunately, it's usually something that drains the blood from my husband's face. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 15 Sep 2014, 15:20

:lmao1:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Sep 2014, 17:35

Then again, it saves me the trouble of having to bite his neck every night! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Sep 2014, 13:11

Saw a horrendous accident when I went to pick up my gawd awful new computer yesterday.
Thankfully, and amazingly no one was injured. But the cars needed scooped up with a yard-bucket truck.
The larger car (still tiny) almost shattered like glass. The entire front of the car disintegrated into tiny parts, only the engine-like device they call an engine was left laying in the street intact. The body was gone clear back to the firewall.
He pulled out of a parking lot, right into oncoming traffic, almost like he hit the gas instead of the brake at the parking lot entrance. The small car that hit him was also hit from the rear at the same time by two other cars. Then within another second two more cars hit those.

The way things work here, the person causing the accident, who violated the right of way laws, will probably be excused for some illogical reason and not cited. The poor guy he pulled out in front of, will probably be ticketed or worse, although he was totally innocent of any crime whatsoever.
I don't know how it will turn out of course, but going by what is common here, the guilty go free and the innocent pay the price for being innocent, and often made out to be the guilty party.
The person who broke the right of way laws will never be charged with any such thing, they never are!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Sep 2014, 18:00

Oh dear! That was some nasty accident Gary.

When things like that happen over here, as much evidence as possible's collected before deciding who was to blame, but obviously, if a vehicle pulls straight out in front of another, then the innocent party isn't going to be done for anything - unless he/she was speeding.

Some years back, my husband's friend overtook a parked bus. He was able to do this as the oncoming lane was clear and the lines indicated that he was allowed to overtake in such circumstances.

Unfortunately, a girl was crossing the road in front of the parked bus. Our friend hit her, and she died. Although he wasn't going fast, he had no chance to break, as this girl just stepped straight out without looking.

It was a devastating accident to all concerned, but our friend wasn't prosecuted for anything. It did, however, keep him off the road for several months. He couldn't bear to drive after what'd happened, and when he finally DID get back behind the wheel, he insisted that someone was with him, as he felt so guilty and kept saying that he could've done more to prevent the tragedy.

In fact, he couldn't. Witnesses on the bus agreed that the girl just stepped out without checking for traffic, and shouldnt've been trying to cross in front of the parked vehicle anyway, as her view was blocked until she moved further out into the road - by which time it was too late and she didn't stop. Terrible accident, but the police were on our friend's side. He could've pulled up behind the bus until it moved off again, but this would've held up the vehicles behind him, and he had a legal right of way to overtake the bus. He was only doing about 20 mph, but it was enough to knock the poor girl flat out.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Sep 2014, 14:59

I've had a few close calls like that myself over the years.

Here we stop for school buses to allow children to cross, but not for public buses, as folks are supposed to wait at the bus stop until the bus leaves before they go anywhere.
Nevertheless, we have J-walkers at nearly every bus stop, and a few get run over by the buses themselves too.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Sep 2014, 16:48

I can well imagine Gary. Jay-walkers're a nuisance everywhere these days, but it's not fair on drivers who have to try and dodge them.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 18 Sep 2014, 11:14

I don't remember how streets are classified anymore to make this accurate.
Many laws that apply on certain levels of classification of streets, don't apply to streets of a lower classification.
J-Walking is just one example of ordinances that apply only to streets of the upper classifications.
Some folks THOUGHT if an area was zoned residential, then an ordinance written for a commercial zone didn't apply. After a few tickets they soon learned, the main drag through the residential area was still an upper classification street and the ordinances did apply to them.

I almost got a ticket for on-street parking when I went to visit one of Debi's relatives only two blocks from my house. I didn't think anything of it, since several cars are always parked on that street, and there are no signs telling you where you can and cannot park. I knew about the 25 foot rule before a stop sign, but knew of no rule about 25 feet after an intersection. I checked afterward and there is no such rule, EXCEPT...
It was that EXCEPT that got me, although I wasn't ticketed since I moved my car before the cop got there, but was still in the wrong, and he told me to move it again. Even though I had parked right behind another car who was parked legally. I even asked the cop, what about that car? He's OK where he's at, was the response.
Turns out, they have a set of parking rules for bus routes. One example is, you cannot park within 100 feet of a bus stop.
OK, I was no where near a bus stop! The closest bus stop was five blocks away. The next closest was over one-half mile away. So I couldn't be parked within 100 feet of a bus stop.
What other rule applies then?
Any Intersection where a bus makes a turn off one street onto another street, you cannot park within 100 feet of the intersection. How does one know where the bus route is to know if a bus turns at that intersection or not. You don't, because there are no signs telling you so, and no signs stating no parking here to corner or any warning signs of any kind. The cop said the person you are visiting is supposed to let you know where you are allowed to park and where you can't. Saves the cost of putting up signs and cluttering up the neighborhood.
If a cop finds a car parked in a bus zone, they are supposed to find the owner to move it, or place a warning tag on their windshield. The first time. The second time you will get ticketed, if in the same bus zone.
I know several cars that park within 100 feet of the intersection where a bus turns. Learned its not 100 feet in all directions, only the on the bus route itself, so you can park within 25 feet of the intersection if the bus turns the other way. It can get downright cornfuzzeling...

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Sep 2014, 13:06

Oh blimey - that all seems a bit unfair doesn't it?

Obviously, parking at a bus stop's illegal here as well, but the difference is, that you can easily see where they are. On some roads, they have a pull-in smack in front of a bus stop. Our stops're marked well, with many having computerised information popping up all the time, to let people know which buses're coming in how many minutes' time.

We have to learn the Highway Code, and this includes where you can't park - i.e. on a pedestrian crossing, at the brow of a hill, on certain road lines, on a blind corner, on a roundabout, smack before a junction etc., but some people ignore the rules anyway!

I agree with you that it can be "cornfuzzeling" - lol, what a nice word!, but we also have specific bus lanes which allow these vehicles to go along and pull up where necessary, leaving lanes for other traffic traffic.

As for jay-walking, we have bollards placed at certain areas along busy roads, so that people can cross into the middle, then carry on when the opposite lane's clear, but many don't bother, and just run across when they see a gap - or simply amble into the road anyway!!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 18 Sep 2014, 16:02

pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Sep 2014, 16:06

:lmao4: Idiots! :lol:
Ice.Maiden