at least nobody died...

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Re: at least nobody died...

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Sep 2014, 17:55

:clap2:

Over here, the school system's completely different, but large comprehensive schools (now often called academies) helped the learning system to disintegrate rapidly.

We still have a few Grammar Schools left, and these were originally created for children who passed their "11-plus" exam. The "Secondary Modern" schools were for children 11+ who hadn't quite made the grade, but if they showed promise a year later, they could be transferred to a Grammar School.

These were on a par with our High Schools, and the examinations taken at 16 were of a higher calibre than those created for Secondary Modern Schools.

Academies take in all levels of intelligence, which was considered better. I disagree. It can hold the brighter ones up. Until this year, exams were partly marked on coursework. Anyone can cheat with this, and students were coming out with a dozen or more exam passes. Not so for those taking the old O'Levels. They had to sit and answer questions on each subject which they'd learnt over the previous 5 years. This sorted the wheat from the chaff. If you'd studied and learnt - you passed - and then you could go on to take A' Levels and go to university.

We have a friend whose daughter's going to be in her final year at uni. She's found it excessively difficult, despite having an armful of qualifications. The standard at her university's very high, such as when you get into Oxford or Cambridge. Had she been born earlier though, the chances of her making it to where she is now, would've dropped right down, or even been nil. Many students're dropping out, as the expectations're too high for them, and employers're moaning that their graduate workforces just aren't coming up to scratch as they once did.

The school system's being overhauled yet again, and going back to the old-style methods of learning and testing. I agree with this.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 07 Sep 2014, 18:38

and then there are the finns, who've done away with testing and yet the kids excel on global level. I don't get it myself... :shrug:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Sep 2014, 19:05

Indeed, and they start their schooling later - which I also agree with. I think it must be something to do with their METHODS of teaching, which sound superior to ours at the moment, but I wonder if employment opportunities come into play there as well?

I was reading that in Norway, I think it was (could've been Sweden), almost everyone can find a job, so whether they're highly educated or not, the vacancies're there for those who want them. I don't know if that's the case in Finland? Here, companies can afford to pick and choose because for every job on offer, hundreds apply, so they want the best, but unfortunately, the "best" aren't always good enough, so employers're turning back to those with experience more than actual qualifications.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 08 Sep 2014, 09:35

Skewl Marms can be a Royal Pain in the Tuckus can't they...

Good for your Dad!!!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Previous

Return to Brain Information