Housing

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Re: Housing

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Aug 2014, 14:44

Well thank you. It's interesting because although our laws differ, they're often none-the-less silly aren't they?

If the Powers That Be can dream up another way of taxing people - they will. Obviously, money has to be raised somehow, and I don't currently think that Income Tax's wrong, because out of this, most of us benefit a little from what's provided - defence, our police, education, the NHS .... but because of austerity measures over here, the poor Joe Public have to pay a second time for the blunders which previous governments - and current - made when spending our money!

I could go on and on about what's wrong with the system. The economists know it too, but're failing to come up with a better solution. It's difficult for people in the UK to "get on" these days. Most of our salaries're swallowed up with excessive charges on everything. Gas, electricity, water, car fuels, food - all the necessities're costing us a fortune, and that's without trying to buy a roof over your head and generally living. I'm probably luckier than some, but it doesn't stop me from understanding the plights of others. It's all very well for the wealthy in Parliament to sit there and make decisions which're causing misery to millions of ordinary people. They're personally "all right Jack", so just want to accumulate money in the coffers and encourage business - which they and their friends run of course. It doesn't matter that people're out on the streets, having their homes repossessed, living a miserable existence. I wish I could do something about it, but then, so do plenty of others. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 30 Aug 2014, 12:17

Poly-TICK-ians have set themselves up very nicely haven't they.
Write their own raises and bonuses. Get paid full salary for life, for every term they win.
And the sheeple were so lazy, the voted to allow them to take over on their own terms.

Like how they are destroying our Constitution.
The Constitution was written for the people to limit the power of government.
Not for the government to limit the power of the people.
Technically, it is our individual States who establish the laws for control of the citizenry by the citizenry.
The federal government is supposed to stay out of state affairs, provided the state remains within Constitutional law. Most States have written their own Constitutions which shifted power of the people to power of the government. And we have been going downhill ever since.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Aug 2014, 17:32

Hello Gary. Sad, isn't it, but the way things're going with all the horrible things which're happening between countries right now, maybe none of us'll be here for much longer - and then it won't matter. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 31 Aug 2014, 09:45

Hi Icey

Something both of my grandpa's told me, was just as relevant to them in their day, as it is to us today.

"Grandpa, how on earth did you farm all those fields with just a team of horses and a two-blade plow?"

"Son, I did it by hand with pick and shovel until I could afford a horse and one-blade plow. That old to you two-blade plow sitting in the barn was the cat's meow, top-o-the-line, the most modern plow money could buy. A real labor savor it was!

"Just like you do not know what the future holds, neither did we. A horse drawn hay-rake saved hundreds of man-hours of work over harvesting with a scythe. Then some fellow named McCormick invented a combination hay-rake/thresher which most of us could not afford, so we pooled our money and bought one as a group. After a few years, the price came down and machinery helped our profits go up, and we each bought our own.

"Tractors were eventually used in place of the horses, and then huge self-powered combines came shortly thereafter. All of these fancy new machines was changing farming forever. More work could be done, larger crops raised and harvested, but quality sometimes suffered from these machines doing the work of ten or twenty men. Machines have no eyes or brains.

"Son, you will probably live to see the day when Machines do have brains and eyes, and hard labor will be relegated to those machines. No matter when we are born, we work with the tools God gave us to use, and we can always see something better approaching on the horizon. The same applies to you as well. You use the fancy tools you have now, but even you can see better ways coming up some day."

My other grandpa said something to me when I first started driving a car.
"I used to beg my father to let me use HIS Storm Buggy to go on a date. I didn't feel it proper to take the old field wagon, even though I cleaned it up and painted it. It was still an old open field wagon, but it was mine and I was proud to have it. Many other kids my age didn't have a horse and wagon they could call their own.

"I fixed her up and added padded spring seats with a backrest, and later a flip-up top. Traded it with one of Dr. Scott's boys for their fathers old two seat covered buggy they fixed up. Then I got my first machine (that's what he called his cars). It was an old cantankerous, noisy thing, and scared all the horses when I drove it to town. Not fitting to use for a date, so I still used my buggy.

"My neighbor had a car like a cook stove, had to build a fire in it before he could use it. I could be to town and back before he ever got it going, but boy when he did, that thing flew like the wind at break-neck speeds. Something on it broke and cooked the whole left side of his body. He recovered but had the scars the rest of his life. Dangerous machines, but not half as dangerous as the cars of today, zipping around like the wind.

"Houses went from sod or logs, to frame or masonry, not much changed since then, other than they got fancier looking with more amenities inside. Barns went from wood to metal, and don't last worth a hoot."

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 31 Aug 2014, 15:14

Hi Gary.

Some truth in all that, and a lovely story. I hope your first date loved the buggy.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 01 Sep 2014, 09:25

Phunny Icey

But I gotcha. Although it wasn't my first date, but for our Prom date, I did hire a horse drawn coach to take us to the prom, rather than a Limo.
To clarify, this was at HER Skewls Senior Prom, and it was only to get us there in style.
I brought my car and parked it in the lot earlier that day, so we had wheels.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Sep 2014, 11:58

:P Aww, that's lovely - and sorry, I see that it wasn't a first date now, but even so, I think that would've been a nice surprise. :cool2:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 05 Sep 2014, 10:59

Although it is not like this today.
When I was an upper teen and early twenties, we had a fancy restaurant with two entrances. The main entrance was actually in the rear, where one of the parking lots was located.
It wasn't always that way. The restaurant was there before cars were popular and had hitching posts and water troughs out front, but that's going back way before my time.
After WWII the road in front of the place was paved, then in the 1950s, shortly after they added a motel to the west, the road was widened to four-lanes, taking up the bulk of their front parking lots.
They bought a large lot to the east and remodeled the front, so it had a covered drop-off area, but no car parking in front.
People all dressed up who came to dine, would drop everyone off except the driver who went and parked the car then walked back. They did add a valet service, but came up with a better idea.
The bought four large eight-passenger fancy horse drawn coaches, two open and two covered. These made a continuous round from the east parking lot to the fancy new front entrance, this took the place of the valet service, and became an attraction of this restaurant.
It was very expensive to dine here, so it was a rare treat. My first wife and I spent our wedding night in their motel, before going on our honeymoon. We had an earthquake that night, and part of the ceiling caved in. I'm not kidding! It wasn't serious enough to have to move to another room, so we only told the maid in the hall about it as we were leaving. When we got back from our honeymoon, there was check from the motel refunding the cost of the room, and a long letter of apology for the disruption of our special night.

There was another restaurant even more expensive with unique features I enjoyed also. Only could afford to take one date there one time. It was also good I found a different place for each gal too! Made it even extra special, and no interfering remembrances of the places, or who I was with at each.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Sep 2014, 17:02

LOL!! Oh that's lovely Gary.

You can never complain that "the earth didn't move for you" on your wedding night though!! Wow - fancy getting an earthquake, but it was a very nice gesture of the motel to refund the cost of your room.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 06 Sep 2014, 07:20

Yes it was, considering it was one of their second most expensive suites.

As I get further along in my series, both of these restaurants are appearing in the story, not by name or location of course. At least I won't have to make them or their histories up. I have a couple of other restaurants with interesting histories I'm going to try and weave into my story also without much detail. I think the changes they have undergone over the years will work well with a couple of my later characters. It will give them each their own favorite places to eat, and to cause mischief.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Sep 2014, 11:38

Hi Gary. Sounds good to me!

You've certainly had some amazing experiences though. Was the motel damaged apart from the roof collapse?? You were lucky not to've been harmed.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 07 Sep 2014, 09:23

Hi Icey

It was an old structure so did suffer numerous superficial cracks throughout the buildings, but no actual structural damage.

The room we were in was a little more than just plaster falling off the ceiling. On the far side of the room, the ceiling joists slipped off the partition wall and dropped down only as far as a tall piece of furniture, which stopped it from falling any further. It wasn't across the entire wall either, only about 1/3 of the way across, and it didn't drop all that far, due to the tall cabinet in the center of the wall.

No where near the mess like we had in my house here when the living room ceiling came down. Which I still have not fixed yet.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Sep 2014, 16:46

Awww, I remember you saying about that. Was anything damaged? Does your house insurance not cover such events?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 08 Sep 2014, 09:05

Hi Icey

I had great insurance as far as the hailstorm went.
The problem was getting someone to work on a roof with structural damage, when they could all make a fortune doing tear-offs and slap-downs.
There was no depreciation involved, since I carried replacement insurance.
So they paid to have the rafters replaced, the sheathing, and for the same type of shingles.
I upgraded to architectural style designer shingles, which cost a bit more, and added real roofing over my storage sheds, and had siding installed. So the house, garage, and two storage sheds all match.
Did a full gut-rehab on the kitchen, most of the money came out of my pocket, what little was left from the insurance money helped cover part of the cabinetry.
No complaints about how much the insurance company coughed up.

Same way with my car insurance. Most car insurance companies will total your car, take your car, then sell it back to you again at salvage rates. So technically, you end up with next to nothing.
My car insurance company gave me 10% above Red Book (retail) value, and let me keep my car. They only added one small rider to the policy. Hail damage was paid for in full, so car not covered for subsequent damage from hail. This can be removed if I have the dents fixed and show them the car.
However, no sense in doing that. I bought Debi a car newer than mine by a few years.
Since we rent cars for trips. So we don't have to pay the rental companies insurance fees, by maintaining full coverage on our latest model car, the insurance covers rental cars. So I had to move the full-coverage from mine over to Debi's. I now only have liability on my car.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Sep 2014, 14:13

Hi Gary,

Hope you don't think I was pushing my nose in there. With you saying that you still have to do some house repairs, I just wondered if your house insurance'd cover all that. Ours covers various damage, and when one of our outbuilding's burnt down a few years ago, once the assessors'd made their reports, tradesmen were there pretty quickly. We received ample to cover it and for the loss of items stored in the place.

I don't know the ins and outs of car insurance as my husband deals with all that, but the only time we get a rental/courtesy car is if one of ours's involved in an accident, as happened a few years back.

A car tried to overtake us on the inside, as we were waiting to turn right. He misjudged badly, and hit us smack on. Our car was a write-off, but while we were waiting for the results of the damage, we were given a nice BMW to drive round in. We liked it so much that we considered buying one, but ended up with something else instead.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 09 Sep 2014, 09:26

Hi Icey

I carried all of that on my car insurance also, but never had to use it.
Had to get a jump once when I was downtown, I knew I could get reimbursed from my insurance company. The tow-truck driver got me going and when I went to pay him, he said it was covered by our cell phone company. Oh OK. I gave him a tip and he was on his way.

Went straight to the battery place I had gone to for years. This was back home by the way, right after I married Debi. The guy popped the hood, made a couple of tests, replaced the battery, and said it was covered under the battery warranty.

Despite the problems that day, it didn't cost me a dime. So it was a good day!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Sep 2014, 13:53

Hey - it certainly was! How lucky was that! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 10 Sep 2014, 11:23

Since this topic is about housing, and drifting toward luck, I'm going to pull both together here.
Roy, one of my three foster kids, joined the service. When it was time for him to come home, I knew he wanted a house in a certain area, so I began searching in that area, hoping to find the kind of deal I could usually swing.
Found the perfect house for him, it fit the description of the house he would like to a tee.
Went and took a look at it, bought it, brought it up to code, and gave him the address to the house when he got home.
He drove up and down the street and kept overlooking it. He knew the address of his grandmothers old house he loved so dearly, but that was not the address I gave him. Sometime after his grandmother moved or died or whatever, and before he was home from the service, they had changed the house numbers on that street, to bring them into uniformity with the postal grid. Even numbers south and east, and houses numbered by blocks from the city outward.
I did not know the house I bought for him was his grandmothers old house, nor did he by the house number I gave him. When he finally figured the numbers out, and saw I had bought his grandmothers house for him, he was elated beyond belief.
He stayed in touch for about one year, then like the other two foster kids, I never heard from them ever again.
Same thing with my two step-kids, have not heard from them in well over a decade.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Sep 2014, 14:43

What an incredible coincidence. Probably should've been posted on the Coincidence 1 and 2 thread, but even so, I can see why Roy'd be pleased.

Still sort of on the subject, I feel it's a great pity that you've lost touch with your foster children. Do you still have their home addresses, or know the houses? You might be surprised at how delighted they might be if you got in touch again.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 10 Sep 2014, 16:11

:lmao1: @ icy, further up there!

it's even worse when your own kids start drifting off into oblivion...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

PreviousNext

Return to Brain Information