Ebola

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

Ebola

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Aug 2014, 17:16

With this terrible virus spreading, and people being able to get infected through touching clothing and soiled bedding, etc., I wondered if this also appertains to handling fruit/vegetables which might be imported from Africa?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Ebola

Postby Kellemora » 17 Aug 2014, 09:43

Not likely Icey.
Although we don't know a whole lot about it yet, even though it has been around and being studied since 1976 when it was first detected.
It requires a live host as the carrier. But you can get it easily from a live host.

The news media always over hypes and sensationalizes everything.
One small area, Sub-Saharan Africa, cordoned off, has seen the largest outbreak in history, infecting around 1,400 people.
But they EAT and live with the most common carriers of the virus too.

Do you worry about getting Rabies?

Something like 55,000 people die each year from Rabies!
Despite the fact we have treatments for it.

Do you worry about getting Malaria?

Over 2 MILLION people die each year from Malaria!

Shall I keep going? The numbers will just keep getting higher.

Just trying to put things into perspective for you Icey.

If your not worried about getting Malaria or Rabies, why the concern about Ebola?
It's transmitted in a fashion similar to Aids. But I won't go there today, since the news media no longer mentions it.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Meiga » 17 Aug 2014, 14:14

For me it IS scary, because the first Ebola case in Europe was in Madrid. The Spanish priest, suffering from ebola was brought back from Liberia to receive treatment in a Madrid hospital. He died last week even that he had been being treated with experimental ZMapp serum.

Yesterday afternoon a Nigerian patient with Ebola virus went to the Alicante General Hospital. He is isolated right now in the room set up for dealing with possible Ebola cases.
Meiga
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Aug 2014, 18:17

Yes, Meiga, I agree with you that ebola's scary.

First of all Gary, we don't get rabies over here, nor malaria, but I've been to the Gambia where Malaria was quite common. Providing you take precautions and stay away from still water during the evenings, the chances of getting it're lessened. That must be the case, because loads of British tourists travel there for holidays, and they don't come back with it.

The problem with ebola, discounting the fact that it can be passed on through something as simple as shaking a carrier's hands (the virus can be transfered through sweat and other body fluids), is that, as mentioned above, it can be transferred from soiled bedding, etc., so although the thing needs a host, it's obvious that for a short while at least, it can live long enough to be passed on from an inanimate object. Therefore, although I'm sure that by the time fruit or vegetables arrived at our shores, there'd be nothing of the virus to do any harm, I wonder just HOW long it can survive for?

Imagine someone with ebola picking up some bananas and handing you one. Could you then catch the virus? It might seem a silly question, but that's why I'm asking, to see if anyone has any ideas on the subject.

To go back to what Meiga said, it's not funny that people're dying so horribly. A doctor who was working over in Africa's also died of it.

It's thought that bats're the main hosts, and many of these creatures're seen as a delicacy in the affected areas, so even though they're piled high at rural markets, these dead animals've obviously been able to spread the virus to those who've handled or eaten them. Therefore, if it can be passed on in that way, surely a person who's unknowingly carrying the virus could inadvertently handle other food stuff and pass it on?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Meiga » 17 Aug 2014, 18:51

Apart from everything the Nigerian guy was sitting yesterday in the emergency waiting-room for about 45 mins or more... I would not wish to get accidenatlly to the same waiting-room esp. with a sick baby :(
Meiga
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Aug 2014, 19:10

Oh god, no, and this's surely one of the ways that the thing's transmitted. They're now saying that the virus isn't airborne. Are they sure about that? Imagine going to a hospital and sitting next to a carrier. He/she turns to speak to you, and minute traces of saliva emit from their mouths and land on you. BH. It's a terrible situation.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 18 Aug 2014, 12:44

It is not airborne, BUT, as Icey said, it can be carried on our breath. The mist expelled from our mouth or nose when we breath. I consider that airborne myself, but technically it is riding on a mist of body fluid.
A bat poops on the back of a cow, and the cow is handled by dairymen or at a slaughterhouse, and the virus can be spread easily.
So far the longest known life cycle for the virus is 55 days. So yes it could arrive on fruits or vegetables shipped to any country. However, most produce is machine picked, washed, packaged, and boxed. Then often gassed or placed in hyperbaric storage before shipping. So the odds of it reaching another country on foodstuffs is minimal.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Meiga » 18 Aug 2014, 13:26

Kellemora wrote:So far the longest known life cycle for the virus is 55 days. So yes it could arrive on fruits or vegetables shipped to any country. However, most produce is machine picked, washed, packaged, and boxed. Then often gassed or placed in hyperbaric storage before shipping. So the odds of it reaching another country on foodstuffs is minimal.

You can avoid african food for some time, can't you?
Meiga
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Aug 2014, 15:06

I'm not going to touch any of it while this virus's rampant. We have enough fruit and veg which're grown here, so that'll do. All the African fruit - coconuts, banana's, cocobeans, sweet potatoes, payapa, pineapple, mango - I can go without anyway, although I DO like slices of lime in drinks or squeezed over salads. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 27 Aug 2014, 18:08

listened to a newscast yesterday that stated that ebola has now been found to be airborn.

great, just great...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Aug 2014, 16:14

Blimey. I personally suspected it, but was going by reports at the time of my last post. That's it then - wear a mask when walking down the street!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Aug 2014, 17:54

also, the fruit in the stores... the pickers' germs would be long dead by the time they get here, but what about another shopper picking through them?

:shock:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Aug 2014, 18:02

:o

No more fruit for a while then, unless it's home grown.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Aug 2014, 18:27

well; just watch who's there with you...

I can't find the page that tells of the virus lifespan outside a host. but this virus sure makes the black death sound like fun.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Aug 2014, 18:45

Exactly - and no problem here with who picks the fruit. It's usually me, and I think I'm safe! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Brain Information