I Just Got A Call From Afghanistan!!!

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

I Just Got A Call From Afghanistan!!!

Postby Linda » 16 Aug 2007, 09:04

I had to put this here so everyone can see it.

My son just called me from Afghanistan!! We talked for almost 20 minutes. He talked to Murryn and Stuart for a few minutes, but we talked the most.

He said he will probably never eat chicken again after he comes home. Beef is very rare so they get chicken most of the time. He says that the meals are good, but too much chicken. They can go down to the "Boardwalk" and get Pizza Hut, Burger King, Subway or Chinese but of course they have to pay for that.

He has to walk wherever he goes on base and it's like a small city. His office is over a kilometre from his "home" and Tim Horton's is further than that. The bazaar though is only half a kilometre from home. He is going there on Saturday to see what he can find. He was telling me that he bought gold bracelets - four of them. The seller wanted $28US for the four...Scott talked him down to $10US. The sellers speak very good English and the man asked him..."You got Mother?" "You got wife?" "How many?"

His leave is at the end of November and Dawn is meeting him in London for an 18 day tour of Europe and places in England and Scotland. He doesn't want to come home because he's afraid if he does he won't want to go back. Dawn is walking on clouds she is so happy. Not only will she be alone with Scott for almost three weeks (no kids for the first time since they were married) but she is going to Europe and will be going to Manchester in England where she was born. She came to Canada when she was six and has never been back.

So that was how my morning started. That phone call made my day!!!
Linda
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: I Just Got A Call From Afghanistan!!!

Postby pilvikki » 16 Aug 2007, 10:23

that's the best phone call ever!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby mamie » 16 Aug 2007, 10:31

Wow! You must be walking on air - I'm so happy for you!
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 16 Aug 2007, 11:20

hmmm... say... how many pounds of gold can he bring...?

:think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby petunia princess » 16 Aug 2007, 12:55

You got to talk for 20 minutes? That's great! That's better than great! :clap:

What a day this started out to be ... you must just be beaming!

He had a lot of interesting things to say ... and, what? No more chicken, please? LOL!

Send him our best, whether you write, e-mail, or talk on the phone to him. [ img ]
petunia princess

Postby Flawless » 16 Aug 2007, 16:23

I got a call about 2 months ago from my cousin who is in Iraq. I can't wait until December when he comes home.
Flawless

Postby Ohlia » 16 Aug 2007, 21:02

It's good to hear something positive from Afghanistan for a change. I am happy for you and your family, Linda, you too Flawless. :dance: Thanks for sharing.
Ohlia

Postby petunia princess » 16 Aug 2007, 22:17

Flawless - I'm so glad your cousin is coming home in December. You are probably counting down the days ...
petunia princess

Postby threenorns » 17 Aug 2007, 07:35

i hear him on nthe chicken thing - i should send over bumper stickers reading "eat a cow - save our sanity" - i'd make a fortune!

or maybe not, if gold bracelets are going for 2.50/per.....

were i dawn, i'd be floating, too - wow - three weeks in europe! that's like a second honeymoon!
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Linda » 17 Aug 2007, 09:33

Actually, it's a FIRST honeymoon. They've never been away anywhere without the kids. Murryn was not quite 2 and Dawn was pregnant with Stuart when they got married. They just went home after the wedding and picked up where they left off.

Flawless, I am so glad that you heard from your cousin. You must be close for him to call you. We'll be keeping our fingers and toes crossed that he comes home safe.
Linda
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby ClaireDU » 18 Aug 2007, 16:22

:o Pizza Hut, Subway, Burger King, Chinese - in Afghanistan?

Linda and Flawless I am so happy that you are able to speak to your loved ones. I am so happy for them to have a REAL honeymoon. Will you be minding Murryn and Stuart, Linda?
ClaireDU

Postby Linda » 18 Aug 2007, 20:12

Yes Claire, Murryn and Stuart will be with us for the three weeks that Dawn is gone. They'll be in school all day so it won't be too hard. Scott and Dawn are also hoping to go to Cuba for a week when Scott gets home in February (or May if he decides to extend his tour). They're getting older now, so they aren't too much trouble.

The restaurants are all on the base in Kandahar. Scott says that the place is like a small city. It's quite spread out so he has quite the hike to get from one place to another. He also says that he has lost quite a bit of weight with all that walking. I asked him when I could join him LOL!
Linda
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Brain Information