p table

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

p table

Postby pilvikki » 08 Dec 2011, 02:12

i came across this periodic table

http://www.ptable.com/

and now i'm baffled by some stuff that has shown up since i went to school. yeah, i know. :P but europeum? livermorium? lanthanoids?

anyway, salt is classified as a metal and so is calcium. they don't look very metallic...

oh, but hang on there, if you hover [click?] on anything, you'll get a wiki explanation.

way cool!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: p table

Postby Yogi » 08 Dec 2011, 15:28

Salt is a combination of sodium and chlorine, sodium chloride (NaCl). The natural state of sodium is indeed metallic and highly unstable when exposed to air.

Lanthanides are a group of elements; they were known as rare earth metals when I went to school.

Livermorium and Europium are two of the super heavy elements that exist for less time than it takes to bat an eyelash. People who play with toys like the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) are the only ones to ever witness the existence of such elements.

It's the same periodic table you and I learned about in school with the addition of a few elements not known way back when we were kids :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 08 Dec 2011, 18:10

oh, oops with the salt, must have that on my brain. i wonder shy sodium isn't called natrium, like elsewhere?

now, the super heavy ones, "logic" would argue that they'd be the ones to hang around - unlike their light-stepping sisters...

it's funny how things stick - or won't; the other day i was asking squeaky what were our main components of air. she remembered oxygen, but drew a blank, to which i cheerfully informed her that it's... it's... oh, wait, i know, hydrogen!. i could only remember it's name in finnish, but bugger if i didn't have to look it up after i realized that oxygen and hydrogen may - perhaps - NOT be the best combination! :doh:

:lmao4:

why am i laughing, i had to look it up again?

:shock:

i think i need a nap...
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Wonderbunny » 08 Dec 2011, 18:50

The super heavy ones would be more unstable, the outer electron shell being further from the nucleus...I think.

Nitrogen? What's that in Finnish?
    Wonderbunny
    Advanced Degree Poster
    Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 08 Dec 2011, 19:52

which explains why i'm more unstable...

nitrogen in finnish: typpi. oxygen: happi. sound a bit like twins...
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Brain Information