Maia to be euthanized...

Stories about animals which might be silly,weird, nonsensical or just plain interesting.

Maia to be euthanized...

Postby brandtrn » 12 Feb 2012, 15:47

I am so incredibly sad today...after a long, painful discussion with my husband, we have come to an awful decision. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to make an appointment to have my poor Maia euthanized.

I've tried to avoid this situation in every way I can think of, to no avail. Several weeks ago, we noticed a change in Maia's behavior, along with a significant change in her sleep patterns. She's always been an extraordinarily well-behaved dog, as well as a very well-trained one. She's been so completely well housebroken that, on occasion, if she had to pee in the middle of the night, she'd come up to us in bed, stick her nose in our faces, and very softly "woof" at us until one of us got up to take her out -- after which, she'd come back to bed with us and sleep through the night. In recent weeks, her behavior during the night has become intolerable, though. She's been waking us up every hour upon the hour, wanting to be let out. Sometimes, we'd take her out, and she'd do NOTHING except sniff at the ground...initially, I thought that this behavior might be the start of some "doggy dementia," and that this was why her sleep patterns were so mixed up. However, her urinary frequency, even during the daytime, seemed to really increase, which led me to believe that perhaps her issues had a medical cause (a urinary tract infection, maybe?), which was further confirmed when I saw blood in the snow after she had peed. So, I took her to the vet, had her urine analyzed (which DID show a slight infection), had her placed on antibiotics, with high hopes that the situation would soon be resolved.

Unfortunately, the solution wasn't so simple. Her antibiotic therapy was completed, and nothing changed as a result, except that the antibiotics had side effects that made her (and us) even more miserable -- like frequent diarrhea! And, because Maia is such a long-haired dog, I spent a total of several hours on many separate occasions, cleaning her bottom from all the poo before allowing her back into the house to sit on the furniture. Between the irritation the diarrhea was causing to her bottom, and the further irritation caused by the constant cleaning, her bottom became sore enough that she actually BIT me during one of the occasions I was cleaning her up -- just a warning bite, to be sure. Maia is part wolf, after all, and she has huge, still healthy teeth, even though she IS twelve years old! If she had WANTED to hurt me, she surely could have done so...but the bite didn't even break my skin. Still, she was letting me know, in her way, that she was being made miserable. Her urinary frequency is just as bad as it had been, she's continuing to wake us up constantly during the night, and Yury and I have taken to sniping at each other because we're both so irritable from the continual sleep deprivation. We can't even seem to respond to her requests to go outdoors fast enough -- by the time we wake up, put on clothes and shoes, the majority of the time, she's already had an "accident" outside the bedroom door.

It's further obvious to me that she's not even comfortable after she's had the chance to relieve herself...all she seems to want to do is to lie down in bed, and when lying down, lays her poor old body down ever so gingerly. Sure, I could take her BACK to the vet and run her through all kinds of expensive testing to get to the bottom of this problem, but to what end?? At 12 years of age, she's already at the end of her expected lifespan. All I'd be managing to do would be to put off the sad, inevitable day a few weeks or months longer. And, if she has a tumor in her bladder (as I'm now beginning to suspect), there's no way I'd put her through surgery, chemo, etc. at her advanced age!

So, very soon, I'll be making the trip with Maia to the vet for the very last time...I've spent the majority of today bawling, and I can't even begin to imagine what my life will be like without her -- she's been such a significant part of it for so many years! I know that EVERY pet owner who's ever loved an animal has experienced this, so my current problem is certainly not exceptional, nor will it make any huge difference in the big scheme of things. But I'm so, so sad, in the anticipation of my upcoming loss...all I can do now is to spend as much "quality" time with her as I possibly can, until it's time for Maia to make her trip (probably tomorrow) across that "Rainbow Bridge." :sigh:
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Maia to be euthanized...

Postby pilvikki » 12 Feb 2012, 16:48

omg... brings back my time smokie, my wolf X and the most amazing dog ever... he had issues around the same age and it was cushings:

One of the most common early signs of Cushing's disease is increased thirst and urination. Females pets are more likely to have accidents in the house and owners often tell me they have to fill their pets water bowl again and again or that their dog has begun crying to be let out to pee during the night. Sometimes the problem is mistaken for a urinary tract infection or the beginnings of senility.

http://www.2ndchance.info/cushings.htm

he was put on medication and lived to be 14, although the disease had already gotten quite advanced before it was treated . [jerk ex wouldn't take him to the vet - just gave him back to me when it got obvious that smokie was in trouble. bastard.]

whatever you find out vand decide, i'll be thinking of you and maia.

[ps. the vet should have considered that as an option considering her age...]
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby threenorns » 19 Feb 2012, 08:43

it's such a sad time in a pet owner's life - but thank you for making the call. there's a lady here who WILL NOT put her german shepherd cross down even though he is suffering terribly from myelitis. he can't even walk more than a few feet before he has to lie down and he's so huge she hasn't a hope of picking him up (which they've been advised not to do because it could completely ruin his spinal cord). she won't put him down because it's "mean".

maia knew (still knows) you were there for her and you came through.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby brandtrn » 20 Feb 2012, 21:49

Thank you, three...your words of kindness and support over the past several days have meant a lot to me :love:
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Return to Animal Stories