ingrown toenail

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

ingrown toenail

Postby van » 10 Feb 2010, 03:52

Kia ora Cindy

On my big toe,LH side. What is the cause and best way to treat it? Once you've got it, is it there for keeps? If so, what is the least painful way of amputating the offending member? :shock:

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: ingrown toenail

Postby MWB » 10 Feb 2010, 04:53

Hi Bill.

I'm answering this for 2 reasons. 1: I used to work for a podiatrist as a receptionist. 2: I had an ingrown toenail & had it removed by aforementioned podiatrist.

It's a very simple procedure. The podiatrist gives a local into the toe area, then cuts the ingrown toenail out. It shouldn't grow back, although some do. But if they do, it takes years for it to do so.

The chap I worked for did mine after I left working for him so he only charged me for the anesthetic. It worked a treat! Oh! the pure joy after it simmered down & healed, (which wasn't long - a few days.)

Greymouth has a podiatrist, Kim Upfold. I saw him when I had my ankle replacement & needed orthotics. He's very good. I don't know if he's with.........

Coastal Podiatry
Podiatrist
140 Mackay Street, Greymouth

or not, but either/or, podiatrist's are your hallux healers. :grin:
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Re: ingrown toenail

Postby pilvikki » 10 Feb 2010, 21:10

when i accidentally pruned my toenail too far back, i'd stuff a wee cottonball under that corner of the nail to prevent the nail from getting buried again.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Ask An RN