Swollen Feet

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

Swollen Feet

Postby Toula » 02 Feb 2010, 04:12

Past few weeks, my feet become swollen everyday. Now this would normally only happen to me when in a hot climate. I assume it is some form of water retention that is causing it, and yes, I drink about 2 - 3 litres of water everyday - for me that is normal. Anyway, was at the Doctors last week and mentioned my feet, she just agreed they were very swollen however, never prescribe any form of diuretic, which I though she would have.
As the day goes on, the feet become more painful and feel like I'm squishing about in hot water. I've been eating pears and tomatoes every day as I believe they are a natural form for getting rid of water retention, but obviously have not worked. My problem is that I am going to Spain next Monday, and am worried that they will get worse when I'm there.
So, can you recommend any diuretic which I can buy over the counter, or any herbal or more natural remedy I could take? Also, just to point out, I'm not having any problems with urinating, also, I take tablets for a heart condition, as well as high cholesterol. Was tested for Diabetes, though was told at first I was Type 2, after further tests this is not the case, but I've been diagnosed as having impaired glucose tolerance, - not on any tablets for that.
Many thanks for any advice offered.
Toula

Re: Swollen Feet

Postby pilvikki » 05 Feb 2010, 01:28

i'll just mention this until you get a proper reply from cindy: i was taking something for hypertension and my feet swelled up like balloons! my doc did not seem concerned, but i was horrified when i couldn't stuff my feet into my shoes any more! i went to a different one while mine was away and got new pills. no more elephant ankles!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Toula » 05 Feb 2010, 03:33

Thanks pilvikki. Problem only started the other week but I've not had any change to meds in a good while. Thankfully, they have not been just so bad the last couple of days, but it is more my feet rather than my ankles - if that makes sense? :think:
Toula

Postby pilvikki » 05 Feb 2010, 21:51

you're 'puddling'? :shock:

it took a good while before mine started, but it escalated from there swiftly enough. of course, i can't remember the name of the medication i took for a long time. :crazy:

you really shouldn't take anything, herbal or otherwise without checking with the doc, so i'd splash my way over there and raise hell!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Toula » 05 Feb 2010, 22:35

So what you reckon, I drink less and piss more :think:
Toula

Postby pilvikki » 06 Feb 2010, 00:06

nope, it seems you need to drink more to shed excess fluid. go figure.

are both tootsies equally affected?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Toula » 06 Feb 2010, 00:42

Yep! But fanny not got swollew?!?
Toula

Postby pilvikki » 06 Feb 2010, 19:58

i did a lot of reading on the net when my feet were the size of my head. some of it is rather scary...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ladypatg » 07 Feb 2010, 05:37

It could be from flying. I have had that problem. I'm also on a med for high blood pressure. This could be what has happened. Bold print mine. Be sure to walk around in the plane when you fly.

How does venous insufficiency cause edema?

The veins in the legs are responsible for transporting blood up to the veins of the torso, where it is then returned to the heart. The veins of the legs have valves that prevent the backward flow of blood within them. Venous insufficiency is incompetence of the veins that occurs because of dilation, or enlargement, of the veins and dysfunction of their valves. This happens, for example, in patients with varicose veins. Venous insufficiency leads to a backup of blood and increased pressure in the veins, thereby resulting in edema of the legs and feet. Edema of the legs also can occur with an episode of deep vein thrombophlebitis, which is a blood clot within an inflamed vein. In this situation, the clot in the deep vein blocks the return of blood, and consequently causes increased back-pressure in the leg veins.

Venous insufficiency is a problem that is localized to the legs, ankles, and feet. One leg may be more affected than the other (asymmetrical edema). In contrast, systemic diseases that are associated with fluid retention generally cause the same amount of edema in both legs, and can also cause edema and swelling elsewhere in the body. The response to therapy with diuretic drugs in patients with venous insufficiency tends to be unsatisfactory. This is because the continued pooling of fluid in the lower extremities makes it difficult for the diuretics to mobilize the edema fluid. Elevation of the legs periodically during the day and the use of compression stockings may alleviate the edema. Some patients require surgical treatment to relieve chronic edema that is caused by venous insufficiency.
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Toula » 19 Feb 2010, 22:49

ladypatg, only just saw your post now, sorry, but thank you for all the information and to pilvikki also.

Thankfully they have not been as bad since I came home from Spain - don't no if there is any significance in that so just hope they stay that way.

I will read through you post again ladypatg to take in the bits I've missed, pulling for tugs now and off to bed. :love:
Toula

Postby Toula » 26 Feb 2010, 01:50

Just to let you know girls, the feet have not been as bad this past 2 weeks, again, thanks for all your information - very useful. :love:
Toula

Return to Ask An RN