Typed too soon.

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

Typed too soon.

Postby MWB » 01 Nov 2009, 03:53

My elbow did start to feel better, but it is still quite painful. Which is getting me down and making me feel tired.

Can I inform my Doctor I'd like a cortisone injection in my elbow? I've heard this works almost immediately. Would he have a right to say no?

I've also heard that a lot of Doctors won't put it forward as a remedy, due to it being a rather difficult procedure, as the window for the needle to be inserted is very tiny and can be missed easily.

Thanks brandtrn. :grin:
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Re: Typed too soon.

Postby pilvikki » 01 Nov 2009, 10:45

question: is there weakness in your hand? is your arm swollen?

i'm wondering about tendinitis at your wrist for it sounds exactly like mine.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby MWB » 01 Nov 2009, 14:35

No, no weakness in my hand, nor is my arm swollen.
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Postby pilvikki » 01 Nov 2009, 15:07

thank goodness for that! how's yer neck? some of my arm problems stem from above...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 01 Nov 2009, 20:19

Yes, you certainly can tell your Doc that you'd like a cortisone injection, if more conservative treatments have failed to help you. And yes, he does have the right to refuse to do it himself...there are many Docs who don't do this procedure often enough to feel comfortable about doing so, and if this is the case, more than likely, he'll refer you to an orthopedic Doc who's more likely to have performed this procedure a bit more frequently. As far as immediate relief goes, I don't imagine you'll get it, though. I've had numerous cortisone injections to my right knee (which often gives me problems), and, more often than not, it takes me a day or two before I'm feeling any real relief. Most people find that pain relief occurs within 48 to 72 hours post-injection. Keep in mind, though, that if you've had two injections without any real relief, it's highly unlikely that further injections will help. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions re: steroid injections, and keep me updated on how you're doing. I hope that you're able to find some relief from the pain you're experiencing soon!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby MWB » 02 Nov 2009, 00:34

I will and thanks, brandtrn. :bloons:
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Return to Ask An RN