beta-carotene too high??

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

beta-carotene too high??

Postby threenorns » 15 Mar 2012, 19:55

weight 219 (down 2-1/2lb from last week, 11lb since march 1st)

blood pressure - bad (160/100)

blood results:
everything is perfect except beta-carotene, which is very high, and cholesterol, which is so low the dr thought i'd been taking pills. told him i've never had to take cholesterol pills in my life - he said he's only ever seen readings like mine in ppl who've been taking cholesterol pills.

conjectured it could be the bodybuilding/powerlifting (muscle repair requires testosterone, which is made out of cholesterol) otherwise, not a clue.

the beta carotene is a puzzler: i don't eat carrots but i do eat a lot of salad. i take two multi-vitamins a day, dr said keep that up until the next blood test in six weeks.

so either i'm somehow taking in too much or could it be i'm not using it up like i should be? is there something i can do that would force increased utilization and get that level down? everywhere i've looked, though, says i only need to worry if i drink a lot or smoke (neither of which i do). high levesl are associated with joint pain - which is something i do get.

the good news is he doesn't want me to start the blood pressure pills - urine tests came back normal (finally!) so my kidneys are no longer being stressed by my blood pressure. he said i could buy the script tomorrow and start on half the original dosage prescribed or i can leave it until the next test - "normal test means now we have time but that doesn't mean you can relax!".
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: beta-carotene too high??

Postby pilvikki » 16 Mar 2012, 23:51

easy! you're a Hare! much be genetic... :lmao4:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 17 Mar 2012, 22:11

Hi, Three...

I'd have answered this yesterday, but I must say that I was surprised that your beta-carotene levels were so high WITHOUT taking supplements! With that in mind, I wanted to do more research...unfortunately, I wasn't able to find much that would help, with the exception of reducing the amount of foods high in beta-carotene in your diet (i.e., romaine lettuce, broccoli, spinach, carrots, dandelion greens, cabbage, pumpkin, etc.). Too bad you don't drink...consumption of alcohol would lower that beta-carotene level!

Sorry that I wasn't much help...however, I still plan to discuss this with Nicole, our registered dietician, on Monday. Perhaps she has an idea or two that could help with this. I'm happy to hear that your cholesterol level is so low. Mine is, too, but it's probably due to my love of garlic and red wine rather than to any good health habits :mrgreen: Anyway, once I talk with Nicole, I'll get back to you if she has any helpful info...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby brandtrn » 27 Mar 2012, 21:31

Sorry it took me so long to follow up on this -- our dietician, Nicole, was completely nonplussed by this. She hasn't heard of ANYBODY who's had an elevated beta-carotene level who wasn't taking supplements! She says that it might take her awhile, but she'll research this at length, because the whole idea fascinates her. The best she can advise you at the moment, regarding your beta-carotene levels, is to reduce your intake of foods high in this nutrient, especially broccoli, pumpkin, squash, romaine lettuce, etc. I'll let you know if she finds out anything else.
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Return to Ask An RN