off the wall topic

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

off the wall topic

Postby pilvikki » 26 Jan 2012, 01:24

i'm so glad you're here, so i can ask all these really dumb questions and know you'll give it some thought anyway...

ok, here goes:

we have a friend doing some renovations and the dogs are terrified of him, even after several weeks. lilymutt will actually walk towards him - then turn tail and run, often barking madly. she's part chihuahua so she's extra vocal [read: drives me nuts with her yapping], but she's always come around and sometimes even gets very friendly with total strangers after 5 mins.

but not with chris. lucy... she'll climb into my lap, hides behind me on the couch, under the table, out the door, anything to get away from him.

wow. the guy is as mellow as they get. he works from morning 'till night, bothers nobody to the point that you have to keep reminding him to stop long enough to eat. known him for.... 27 yrs, so i know he's the nonviolent sort. :shrug:

now, the reason i'm asking you is because chris is both hiv pos and has hep c - and something is gnawing away his hip bone from an old infection. he stepped on a nail last march, didn't get it checked out at once and it spread into the lymph glands. dumbass. because of that nail he now has to have hip replacement.

now i'm wondering if the dogs could be reacting to his myriad of health issues? ever heard about that?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: off the wall topic

Postby brandtrn » 26 Jan 2012, 09:34

Actually, I've heard of many canine responses to human illness, but that's not one of them. Many dogs can actually "smell" cancer, anticipate seizures, and the like. When they detect these in their owners, the majority of dogs will react protectively...and yet, I've read literature that suggests that illness in humans can also be interpreted as "weakness" by many dogs, most notably by the more "aggressive" breeds (Dobermans, Rottweilers, etc.) and will cause them to behave accordingly. Is it possible that your friend's illness is making your baby fearful? I don't honestly know, but it makes sense to me...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: off the wall topic

Postby pilvikki » 26 Jan 2012, 16:16

maybe lily's barking is an allert...? which then sets off lucy's fear?

i donno, it's absolutely maddening, but thanks!

btw, daughter's dog will inform anyone with an infection by shoving his nose in wherever it is. ear infection? nose in the ear. yeast infection? well, you know.... :o
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Ask An RN