Dyeing hair.

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

Dyeing hair.

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Aug 2011, 20:38

Four and a half years ago, my friend finished chemo and radiotherapy after having cancer. When her hair grew back again, it was streaked with grey instead of being naturally dark, so she dyed it.

Now she's worried, as during a check-up, she was told that she should've waited for at least 6 months before using any hair dye, and she's worried in case it harms her. What do you think?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Dyeing hair.

Postby Rusty » 06 Aug 2011, 07:00

This is what Cancer research has to say about it:
http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/ ... fter-chemo

It`s not a case of hair dye harming your friend.It`s just a case of it harming her hair if it was still too fragile for permanent or semi permanent hair dye to be used on it.
Rusty
co-administrator
co-administrator

Postby Ice.Maiden » 06 Aug 2011, 14:57

Thank you Rusty. I've passed that on
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 20 Jan 2012, 00:39

Sorry for neglecting this forum for so long...I agree with Rusty. The big risk with the hair dye is to the hair, which will be more fragile as it growsback in. I'll also say that the new hair growing back in different colors (or textures, etc,) is not at all unusual. I experienced this myself following chemo. Tell your friend not to worry, and sorry it took so long for my reply! I'll work on being better with this!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Return to Ask An RN