I have a rash.

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

I have a rash.

Postby MWB » 09 Apr 2011, 16:35

It's on my face for godsake!

First of all, a couple of weeks ago I had a HUGE coldsore on my lip. It was the size of Texas, (looked like an overdose of collagen had been injected into that one part of my lip) & my neck glands were very swollen. About the only thing was the coldsore was in a different place where I usually get the things - which I get once a year or so.

I didn't use anything for the coldsore; remedies usually only hasten the healing process by a day, if that. It's a virus, so there's no cure.

After a few days, it has gone down to nothing but the usual mark it leaves on the lip & it's all good.

But this rash. It started around where the coldsore had been & every day, (overnight) it's spread by a 1/4 inch or so. It's not flaming red, but it's slightly noticeable, is very dry & a bit itchy. It's more uncomfortable & annoying. Yesterday I noticed it broke out on my jaw/neck, under my ears - more so under my left ear. The coldsore had been on my right top lip. So I went to the doctor who said rashes are notoriously hard to diagnose, gave me an antihistamine, (which didn't do anything) & said see how it goes over the next few days.

So is there any topical cream you can suggest for the meantime? I'm using vaseline petroleum jelly, but that's not working.

I'll go back to the doctor later this week if the rash doesn't go away & keep spreading.

Thanks. :grin:
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Re: I have a rash.

Postby kg » 10 Apr 2011, 00:54

You may have to wrangle Cindy over here from Facebook. She posts there fairly regularly.

About the rash, I wouldn't begin to know what to tell you, other than what they said in the other thread.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby MWB » 12 Apr 2011, 18:28

Cheers, Glenn. I'm using a product called "Dermaid" which is working quite well. It contains 0.5% hydrocortisone. It's relieving & easing the dryness & the rash looks like it's abating.

Yay!
MWB
KIWI Correspondent
KIWI Correspondent

Postby kg » 12 Apr 2011, 21:29

That's good! There's no telling what caused it. There are germs and viruses in the air and on surfaces all around us. One of them gets past our body's defenses and gets a foothold, it can cause all kinds of problems. Then you pretty much gotta try what's out there that might fight it.

Best is go to a doctor, but that's basically all the doctor can do, except for run tests and take cultures to find out what's there. That gives them a little better idea of the cause, but they'll still have to experiment with various drugs and/or ointments to find out what's going to work for your particular case.

Great to hear you're beating it, though.

Oh, and nice chatting with you earlier! :grin:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 12 Apr 2011, 22:50

silja thinks it's shingles as a coldsore basically is a herpes virus and often gets mixed up with the shingles strain.

i hope not. i looked up the images and they look nasty! :shock:

just be very careful around your eyes.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Ask An RN