finger spasms

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

finger spasms

Postby pilvikki » 19 Sep 2010, 18:38

i see that you're here, cindy, so i thought i'd ask you about one of my pet peeves of the month:

when i go to grab something with my fingertips, both hands - i think - the fingers tend to spasm and whatever i managed to grab goes flying off. usually it would be something small and then it's a pain in the butt to try to find it.

i've looked up all kinds of shakes and spasms and what have you, but i can't really put my finger on it. erm... sorry. bad pun.

i'm also a bit less stable on my feet, but assume that's from my chronic ear infection.

does this ring any bells?

thanks!

signed;

granny with the DT's. :lol:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: finger spasms

Postby brandtrn » 20 Sep 2010, 14:09

Wow...unfortunately, that rings LOTS of bells! There are any number of things that can cause finger spasms, but it'll help me to know a bit more. What are the spasms like? Are they painful, and do your fingers stiffen when this happens, or are they more like tremors? Are you on medications, and, if so, what are they (you can PM me on that one if you prefer)? Have you had any recent injury to your hands? Finally, do you have any diagnosis of any condition that might cause finger spasms, i.e. Raynaud's phenomenon, lupus, scleroderma, etc.? I know, I can be a PIA sometimes, when I have more questions than answers :)
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 20 Sep 2010, 15:08

yes, i'm on a myriad of poisons: cymbalta, imovane, rasilez and robapre.... damned! got to go look what is for hyperacidity; i can never remember it.

i have/had tendonitis, carpal tunnel and ganglions in my wrists and hands. my neck has generative arthritis at least between 3-7 C.

thus far clear on raynaud's, lupus, scleroderma... hmm... actually, i do have what might be a milder form of raynaud's, but never been diagnosed as such.

if i do something like sanding with my fingertips, they lock up and i have to bend them - manually. :shifty: but they don't stiffen with the spasms, i don't think, i just completely lose control over them as they vibrate more like sideways.

the spasms are not painfully and never seem to appear when i try to demonstrate, like to my doctor. i just picked up a whole bunch of stuff and felt a very vague 'pull' between my index finger and thumb, but otherwise nothing.

it's embarrassing when you go to sign a bank slip and just about poke the eye out of the teller with the pen flying off - or picking up a bead for squeakie, only to lose it somewhere under the couch.

was that any help?

thanks!

:grin:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 21 Sep 2010, 02:58

Since you have a history of carpal tunnel and ganglions in both wrists, I'm thinking that nerve compression is the most likely culprit. Cymbalta can cause shakiness (or tremors) in a very small percentage of those who use it. Imovane also has trembling and shaking of hands, fingers, arms, & legs as a side effect (especially in seniors) as a fairly common side effect. Are either of these meds new for you, or have you been taking them for awhile? I'd still place my bet on the nerve compression, though. Do you have an orthopedic Doc that you see? If so, I'd strongly suggest setting up an appointment with him, because if you're having nerve compression, it should be alleviated before nerve damage occurs...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 21 Sep 2010, 12:42

thank you! :love:

i'll get on it as soon as i get back home!

[i'm quite happy that you're not considering it's my brain rotting.... :shifty: ]
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Ask An RN