Feeling very sick :(

Our resident Registered Nurse, brandtrn, will answer any specific health care related questions on a time available basis.
Forum rules
Sad but true, there must be a disclaimer!!!
Remember that I am a NURSE, not a doctor. I know a lot, but certainly don't know everything. If you have a health problem or concern, I'll do what I can to help, but please keep the following in mind: any information that I may give you is not intended as "medical" advice, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for a consultation with your primary care physician.

~ Cindy

Feeling very sick :(

Postby vettechie » 18 Aug 2012, 19:02

I dont have health insurance right now, but need advice if you would be so kind.

Here we go....

Ok. 30 year old married woman, history of PTSD/anxiety, on oral birth control pills and an antidepressant.

For the past 4-6 weeks When I eat, in about 1 to 2 hours, I have cramps in my lower abdomen and stomach that cause me to start gaurding my abdomen and sometimes curl up in pain. The cramps last for about 10 minutes. Then, very suddenly, I have the urge to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY, where I have a BM... Usually diarrhea, always with a bit of mucous on the BM itself, sometimes just orangeish watery stuff, with or without gas.

Also, my lower intestines are constantly rumbling, grumbling, churning, and fluttering, though I'm sure that's from irritation. I also feel lightly nauseous pretty much all the time since this started, not like I'm about to throw up in a few moments, but like I could throw up soon. And, I think understandibly, I'm exhausted *all the time.*

My diet isn't perfect, but I'm not eating any hugely bad foods And no, I'm not pregnant. I cant find any trigger foods, but have begun to eat only things that dont cause this, but something that was "safe" today- may not be tomorrow.

Any ideas?
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Re: Feeling very sick :(

Postby pilvikki » 19 Aug 2012, 03:22

omg! that must be awful! i'm so sorry you have this...

meanwhile, while waiting for cindy, did you start/change your meds and which ones are you on?

i have a really mild version of this, but in my case, i'm thinking it's my nerves playing ping=pong with my intestines. :roll:

:love:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 23 Aug 2012, 09:32

Hi Marg!

I hate to be irritating, but before I venture a guess as to what might be going on with you, I need a bit more information. I know most people hate folks who answer a question with more questions, but I have a few: in addition to the symptoms you've described, are you experiencing any fever or rectal pain? Do you have any family history of ulcerative colitis? Are you having any mouth sores, or any joint pain or swelling? How has your stress level been in recent months? In addition to the mucus you describe, have you had any blood or pus in your stools? Finally, have you experienced any recent weight loss? The answers to those questions will help me quite a bit in trying to answer yours. And, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm back to the days of working all night and sleeping all day. I'll try to check this site again before I leave for work this evening. Hopefully, I won't oversleep...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby vettechie » 23 Aug 2012, 23:17

No problem. Here are your answers and some new things.

fever or rectal pain?
None, though I do get chills with my nausea

Do you have any family history of ulcerative colitis?
No, but I have had a few boughts of this in the past due to a peanut/tree nut allegic reaction, but last episode was over 7 years ago

Are you having any mouth sores, or any joint pain or swelling?
No

How has your stress level been in recent months?
High stress. Wedding, changed jobs twice, lost 2 pets, money issues

any blood or pus in your stools?
No, but my stools were orange a few times, though they are not now

Finally, have you experienced any recent weight loss?
No, I lost weight due to not eating because of this, but I have actually gained some weight before this

** update**

I have had 2 good days this week, but still feel bloated and exhausted. I also still get rumbly in my upper intestional area after eating but the nausea has lessened dramitically. A new symptom however is that now after I eat I get overwhelmingly sleepy. Like I need to nap RIGHT NOW. I had breakfast yesterday and then fell asleep for 3 hours. I had only been awake for 2 hours!
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Return to Ask An RN