Hotest Year On Record

Talk about the weather, but can anyone really do anything about it?

Hotest Year On Record

Postby Yogi » 23 Jan 2015, 15:36

According to the United States' National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) 2014 will go down as the hottest year on record. Five if the hottest spots on earth were:
    Australia
    Eastern Pacific Ocean
    Siberia
    California
    Northern Europe
Us folks in the Chicago area are scratching our heads because January and February was the coldest it's been in many a decade.

Read about it here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ly-cooked/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Hotest Year On Record

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Jan 2015, 18:35

:shock: I know. I don't know where they get their statistics from.

2014 was supposed to've been the UK's warmest - and wettest - year on record. I'll agree with the latter, because the flooding we had was unprecidented, but warmest? No way. They probably mean jointly, but not separately. It was a pathetic summer, certainly where we are. We had a few nice days, but I don't think they even added up to a fortnight.

I've heard loads of stories about the summer of 1976, when a heatwave hit us for several weeks on a trot. I found this:

"Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F)."

As for over in the US, I don't know, but I DO know that you had some freezing weather.

Our winter's not been good so far, so I'm expecting a decent summer to follow, but I don't think it'll be a long one.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 24 Jan 2015, 15:31

NOAA collects the data using a bunch of satellites. The hottest spots are local areas and not country wide. California had a hot year, but we in Chicago had a cold one. We are 2000 miles apart and that makes a difference. You can come up with an average global number when you do satellite scans and I'm pretty sure that average is what broke the record. You are getting all that wetness because somewhere in the oceans the water is hotter than normal. It's evaporating faster and being dumped on England ... and a few other places.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Jan 2015, 21:26

Yes, and the jet stream's been weird, with currents flowing in more than one direction. We've also been battered by storms crossing the Atlantic.

I see what you mean about satellite data, but the UK's a funny old place. The weather can differ greatly within the space of just a few miles. A few weeks ago, snow was still coming down where we live. A friend who lives 12 miles away got just 2 days of it and it was a degree warmer. Driving towards home after being deluged with rain in town just before Christmas, we were amazed to see that the roads were suddenly dry. We hadn't had a spot of it, but just 3 miles on, everywhere'd got soaked and the water was coming back up out of the drains. Obviously, it depends on where the clouds are when the downpour occurs, but there can be a big difference in temperature just within the space of 150 miles. Recently, London stood at around 4C, while we were minus.

I have to say that I was envious of your snow - lol - but it's not too good for those who have to suffer the stuff as its going, is it?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 29 Jan 2015, 20:34

Claiming 2014 to be the hottest on record does not focus on local variations. We all can see how crazy the weather patterns have been lately, but over the course of the year global temperatures have warmed up on average. There is no shortage of explanations why that should be happening, but there is great controversy about how we should respond. My fear is that not enough will be done and that history will show we could have avoided future disasters by acting now.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 30 Jan 2015, 07:57

I agree with you, but exactly WHAT should be done's debatable. I personally think that several factors've contributed to these world-wide strange weather patterns, and of course, warmer arctic oceans mean eventual flooding and erosion of land as water levels rise. Not a very good outlook is it? : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to About The Weather