Woah!

Talk about the weather, but can anyone really do anything about it?

Woah!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Nov 2014, 20:13

Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Woah!

Postby brandtrn » 14 Nov 2014, 23:20

Yeah, we got hammered, too, but not as badly as many parts of the country did. Still, we had a record snowfall of six inches as of 1 p.m. on Thursday, breaking our previous record of 4.7 inches set in 1974. Looks like winter is off to an early start in these parts...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Yogi » 15 Nov 2014, 09:18

You are not that far from me, but on the snowy side of the lake. We got a few flurries out of that storm but nothing else. My thanks go to the weather gods. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Nov 2014, 14:00

Snow was supposed to've fallen in Scotland recently, but I haven't seen any pics of it, so it was probably just a few flurries.

Nothing here as yet, but today's not brightened up at all. We've got fog and rain for the next couple of days, and yes, the time's arrived when temperatures're dropping quite rapidly, especially with accompanying winds. Down in the south, they're still getting days of around 12C. Here, it's about 7C at the moment.

I envy people who get nice piles of snow, but I'm sure we can expect some around January/February time, which're our worst months.

Our snow seems different to yours though. You can't shovel it up from paths and driveways without leaving a thin sheet of ice, which makes it very dangerous to walk on, so most folk put salt, sand or ashes down. If you just scrape it up, it's worse than a skating rink. That's the bit I dread, but otherwise I love to see it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 17 Nov 2014, 03:00

There WAS a time when I loved to see it, too...back in the day when I was a student in the public school system and a good snow guaranteed me a day out of school -- a day when I could snuggle under the covers, sleep late, and enjoy my day. These days, I HATE the sight of the stuff! Idiots on our roads appear to forget how to drive in snow and ice from one year to the next. The road is littered with accidents, and it's a serious PIA to drive the lousy four-and-a-half miles to work. Besides, during each winter storm, I have the additional worry that my relief won't show up for work due to the weather. Those "twelve-hour shifts" can get awfully long when they stretch into a couple of days because your relief can't make it in and you can't abandon your patients. Been there, done that!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Nov 2014, 19:28

Hi C - I can see what you mean. From a work point of view, and considering your long hours, I don't suppose that a good snowfall's anything to get excited about. You must dread your relief not turning up, but no one can be expected to be super-woman all the time, and you deserve to have at least one more person there who's capable of taking over.

Snow for me, means something different of course. I don't have to go out to work, and although - like this evening, when I finally finished at 11 pm from early this morning - I just love to see it, but obviously the effects aren't always for the best.

Today, the weather forecasters were right. The sky was black again all day, apart from a brief respite about 3. 30pm when a weak sun tried to pop through the clouds. It was foggy, drizzling and felt extremely chilly. Tomorrow looks like being similar.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to About The Weather