All change - again

Talk about the weather, but can anyone really do anything about it?

All change - again

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Oct 2014, 17:33

What with rain, high winds, fog and temperatures between 12-14C, the UK's about to "bask" in ones of between 18-20C this coming weekend.

Colds and flu-type bugs abound atm, but it's not surprising when these changes happen so quickly. Do you think we'll see a warm and sunny Christmas?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: All change - again

Postby Yogi » 17 Oct 2014, 13:32

One Christmas out of the 69 I've experienced so far was warm and sunny. Temps were in the mid 60's. Following that we had some of the coldest days on record for this area. Normally December is cold with an average high of 37F. January is colder with an average high of 32F. Thus, it's possible to be sunny on Christmas, but I seriously doubt it will be warm.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Oct 2014, 15:30

I can remember one December 1st being nicely warm and sunny. Maybe the next day was the opposite, but that's what we get over here - sudden extremes.

The thing is, at this time of the year, it's normal to be chilly and damp. We've done well up here to get a few days when the sun was out as we hit October, but we're more than halfway through the month now, and to hear that we're suddenly expected to see the temperatures rise by 4-6 degrees, isn't what we're normally used to. I hope it continues, but our weathermen frequently get the forecast wrong. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 18 Oct 2014, 08:07

Some years you rise, some years you fall. All together it's the average.
I don't think the "average" temperatures are realized very often. It's just a mathematical calculation that may not have any relation to reality. The issue I have with all this is that those weather forecasters are being paid big money to make wild guesses.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Oct 2014, 11:58

Well today, they've been partly right. It's mild - about 18C - but it's been dull for most of the day, with a wind that's quite high up. The clouds've been racing across the sky, but it hasn't reached ground level too much. Think some rain's forecast overnight, so we'll see what tomorrow's like.

I'm sure you're right about "average" temperatures, but by this time of the year, we usually see the signs of Autumn - dull skies, colder, more rain, wind, fog and ground frosts. We've had them all, in varying amounts, but it's still been better than what we'd expect. I won't speak too soon. January and February'll probably be terrible. They're our worst months anyway.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to About The Weather