Flood watch...

Talk about the weather, but can anyone really do anything about it?

Flood watch...

Postby brandtrn » 20 Feb 2014, 08:20

Lovely! So the snow is now melting...I imagine that quite a bit of it will melt today, since we're forecasted to have a "balmy" 52 degrees today (that would be about 11 degrees for those of you doing the metric thing). To make matters even lovelier, we've got a thunderstorm going on right now, and with the rain and the *huge* amount of melting snow, our immediate area is under a flood watch today! What fun! While I doubt that my house will be floating down the river anytime soon, I DO dread a flooded basement....*sigh*
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Flood watch...

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Feb 2014, 14:27

Flooded homes cause as much heartbreaking damage as a house fire can, in my opinion. Both're terrible, but in the UK, not too many people're adequately prepared. Over the last few decades, you can probably count on one hand the times that folk've had many feet of water rushing through their homes, but after this latest lot, which's gone on for months in some areas, flood defence items're being bought in earnest now - pumps, flood gates etc. If the wet weather trend continues, many'll be glad of the investment.

Let us know how the flooding in your area goes. I hope your home stays dry and that's everyone's safe.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 27 Feb 2014, 14:48

We had the same experience up here in Chicago, although it never reached 52F. The streets were wet and messy, but no immediate threat of flood was visible. The big problem came the next day when the temperatures crashed again and all that water turned into ice. Talk about lovely, NOT.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Feb 2014, 18:42

Oh dear, I can well imagine how dangerous that'd be, and then it all has to thaw out again. You've had some terrible weather.

It isn't really easing up over here - to any great noticeable degree, but certain things which might've been done, haven't been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4K1BZ7Qzbc

It's around 0ºC atm, with temperatures over the next few days hovering between -1 to -2C. It feels a lot colder, and today we had several heavy hail falls; more rain or snow expected by Monday.

With regard to people having their homes flooded out, some've had more than 2m of water rushing through. This must be terrifying and soul-destroying, and because we're such a small island, it seems like a quarter of the country's been under flood. People have to be there to recognise the devastation, as I saw for myself when my sister's house was swamped back in 2000. It was as though a river was pouring through their home, and not even accessible by dinghy because of the fast-flowing water. It took months to make the place habitable again. Downstairs was completely wrecked.

I hope brandtrn's home wasn't hit as badly, but let's face it, even an inch of floodwater ruins floors, walls and furniture.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 28 Feb 2014, 12:34

We were fortunate in that the basement never flooded...happy me!! Still, with all the melting snow and the few inches of rain we received, along with the ground still being frozen and able to absorb NONE of it, we, too, had the ice monster! My driveway is nothing but glare ice...thank goodness, we had a bit of snow since then to cover it and to increase the traction for my boots, or I'd have been in a world of hurt just walking out to my car! Will winter NEVER be over??? Tomorrow is the first of March, after all, and I STILL can't see the freaking grass ANYWHERE!!!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Feb 2014, 19:39

Glad to hear that things didn't get as bad as they might've done, but you're right - now you have the danger of the ice! I think we've still got plenty to come - i.e. more rain and snow in parts, with high winds expected again. Knowing our weather, we probably won't get a spring. One day it'll be freezing, and the next the temperatures'll be right up. This strange weather's happening everywhere though, isn't it?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to About The Weather