And now, a tornado!

Talk about the weather, but can anyone really do anything about it?

And now, a tornado!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 May 2012, 18:54

Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: And now, a tornado!

Postby bermbits » 07 May 2012, 19:32

No thank you! New Hampshire has pretty rough winters and changeable weather, but for the most part we don't have regular occurrences of extreme weather. We have said we'll take a NH winter any day over earthquakes, floods, forest fires, tornadoes, etc. We have had all of the aforementioned events, but they are usually relatively minor. When I experienced an earthquake, I was sitting in my car waiting for my daughter. If felt like someone in the back shaking the car back and forth. I guess anything can happen almost anywhere, but we're happy here. Hope all is well on your end.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: And now, a tornado!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 May 2012, 03:25

Thank you bermbits. I don't live anywhere near where the tornado occurred, but a few years back, I was down in Norfolk and saw one scuttling across a field. I had to pull up and watch it, as I'd never seen one "in the flesh" before! It was only a baby one, which whipped up some dust and debris, but still fascinated me as it moved away.

Over here, we have lots of "minor" things, and plenty of earth tremors, but most of those largely go undetected.

I'm glad that you and your daughter were safe after being shaken about, but I know exactly what you mean. I think it was back in about 2008 time when we caught the tail end of an earthquake which'd rocked part of Lincolnshire. I was sitting right where I am now, when I heard a low rumble. I knew what it was because I'd heard this before, but never expected to feel anything.

It was quite amusing when a coffee cup starting dancing along the desk, and then my chair - with me in it - moved backwards. I leapt up and ran outside. Think it was a self-preservation reaction, because then I ran back in to see if my children were alright!! Oh dear - but it all happened so quickly. Afterwards, there was what I can only describe as a total quietness - a really deep silence, if you know what I mean.

When you think about it, nature's hugely powerful.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to About The Weather