conjunctivitis? something else?

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

conjunctivitis? something else?

Postby threenorns » 26 Nov 2009, 11:50

it started with a white lump over dandy's eye. after a couple days, i noticed he'd rubbed the fur off around his eye and the sclera was very red. i thought that was odd but didn't think anything of it since there's no a lot to be done for styes except wait them out. a couple days later, however, his eyes were crusted with big, green oozy yuck and that was just nasty. so i washed his eyes with salt water and gave him garamycin drops figuring he'd gone and given himself pink-eye with the rubbing. his eyes cleared up very quickly.

lucey came over for a stay and i took the dogs to the wetland - ever see a big, fluffy golden-doodle do a spead-eagle bellyflop into swamp water? the next day, her eyes were a bit cruddy and the day after, big green gobs - same as dandy! at the vet's, they said her eyes did look infected, conceded that swamp water can do that and "maybe she got some sand or mud in her eyes while she was swimming around in there". so i washed her eyes with salt water but ran out of garamycin and used visine instead (that's what a vet told me to use on a barn kitten that had eyes swollen and glued shut from infection and it worked a treat). her eyes are vastly improved after 48hrs but now dandy's eyes are getting gross again!

wth!???

do i have to stop taking them to the swamp or is it the wet weather we've been having? stress? allergy?

this sucks. lucy's easy-peasy to do - she just keep trying to hide her face between my boobs - but dandy's a bloody little bugger to clean. you'd think he'd get a clue since he's clearly much relieved by the procedure.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: conjunctivitis? something else?

Postby pilvikki » 28 Nov 2009, 04:07

:doh: do an experiment: wallow in the swamp water and see what happens to your eyes....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby threenorns » 03 Dec 2009, 11:24

well, can't, really, since the ladder's in the tub for the drywalling.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby vettechie » 04 Dec 2009, 19:48

first off your vet told you to use visine???? what??? NO!

Use artificial tears, and eyewash only, not homemade salt water and not visine....ugh.

You need antibiotic drops for sure.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician