sickly puppy

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

sickly puppy

Postby Sandra » 19 Oct 2009, 13:40

My 11 month old pup has been really unwell lately. She's had an upset tummy for most days, she's always been lively and lovable and she is very funny...a few weeks ago, her back legs went and she became very ill, I took her to the vet and they kept her in hospital for a few days, they took x-rays & blood tests even gave her some blood...since having her home, I've been feeding her on dog food from the vets and she has been taking Synulox, Marbocyl and Kaogel..she finished the medication on Friday and has been fine over Saturday and Sunday but today she started having diarrhoea again...I phoned the vet and he gave me Marbocyl and Synulox back for a few days and I've to take her back on Thursday morning...the tests have never really shown anything up except a thick stomach wall, I don't really know what's going on with my wee dog....I've so far spent over £500 on treatment for her so any advice vettechie or anyone, would be greatly appreciated.
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: sickly puppy

Postby legend » 19 Oct 2009, 14:04

SANDRA SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF MY UNCLES GERMAN SHEPHERDS .
HE AHD A BIG HOUSE IN CONDORAT AND KEPT 2 GERMAN SHEPHERDS.
BOTH HAD PAPERS FROM TEH KENNEL CLUB.
BUT THEY BOTH AT DIFFERENT STAGES HAD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS.
THEY WERE A YEAR OLD AND 18 MONTHSRESPECTIVELY.
HAS THE VET SAID ANYTHING ?WHAT BREED ARE THEY ?

MY UNCLES DOGS ENDED UPM WITH CONSTANT DIARRHEOA AND HAD TO BE FED ON FOOD FROM THE VETS.
THIS WAS YEARS AGO.

THE PROBLEM WAS TO DO WITH INBREEDING THEY RECKONED.
SEEMINGLY ITS A BIG PROBLEM WITH ALSATIAN /( GERMAN SHEPHERDS.

DUNNO IF THAT HELPS BUT HOPEFULLY THE BLOOD TEST WILL SHOW IF ITS AN INFECTION / VIRUS OR SOMETHING DIFFFERENT?

LEG.
legend
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 19 Oct 2009, 22:15

oh dear, i feel so bad for you and puppy. the worst is not knowing!!!

from the looks of the various meds i get the unpleasant feeling the vet is at a loss as to what's wrong and is trying to throw everything at it hoping something will work.

all i can suggest is to forget the vet food and cook rice with some ground beef and chicken broth and see if that'll settle the stomach problem. i've used that on 3 dogs now and it seems the best way to calm down any irritation. still, that's only ½ the problem...

i'm wondering if she's gotten into a neurotoxin of sorts, such as antifreeze? there are a gazillion things that are toxic to dogs that we have all over the house. check this list and compare to the inventory of your house:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/4354-toxic-dogs.html

also: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/HEALTH/pplants.htm

holy cow there's a lot of them...

i'm surprised that my lucy is still alive, she'd eat the sofa if we left her alone long enough.

i really, really hope you'll find out what's going on.

:worry:

[ img ]
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Sandra » 20 Oct 2009, 04:29

Daizy is a Shi Tzu, well supposed to be...she was given to me by my brother in law last December as he left her at 6 weeks old, home all day and wondered why he came into a house full of toilet and things being chewed (why he didn't think of this before he got her puzzles me) :crazy: anyway, she is a lovely wee dog but has never been right, I have Terri who is a full Shi Tzu and wee Daizy resembles her but I've always known there was something strange about her, the vet thinks she is a cross between a Shi Tzu and a Lhasa Apso..the blood tests showed she was low on red blood cells and she had an infection which they thought would of been cleared up with the meds, as I said the meds did clear it up but as soon as they stopped within 2 days she is back to having diarrhea..I'll ask the vet if I can try her on some rice, don't want to upset her stomach anymore, thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated.
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby vettechie » 20 Oct 2009, 10:56

Hi.

I for 1, would get a second opinion. If they gave her blood- its serious. VERY serious. We dont just give blood for nothing. I wish I could see her lab work- that would help me shed more light.

is she vaccinated?

what food is she on?

can you tell me all medications and supplements she is on?

Do you have any of the bloodwork? can you post it?

It could be bacterial overgrowth, parasites, autoimmune disease, parvo, distemper, corona, liver or kidney disease just to name a few.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 22 Oct 2009, 14:48

vettechie wrote:Hi.

I for 1, would get a second opinion. If they gave her blood- its serious. VERY serious. We dont just give blood for nothing. I wish I could see her lab work- that would help me shed more light. I could ask to see and get a copy of her lab report when I take her on Saturday morning.

is she vaccinated? yes, she's vaccinated

what food is she on? now she is on sensitivity by Royal Canin

can you tell me all medications and supplements she is on? tomorrow she finishes a course of Synulox & Marbocyl also some supplements.

Do you have any of the bloodwork? can you post it? nope but I could try get something from vet.

It could be bacterial overgrowth, parasites, autoimmune disease, parvo, distemper, corona, liver or kidney disease just to name a few.

been tested for all of the above, the one that is worrying the vet is autoimmune disease, due to an abnormality in her red blood cells, the blood was given because she lost blood and we don't know where from, well that's as far as I know.

She is getting a camera put down to her tummy on our next visit, I won't give up on her, she isn't in any pain as far as I know, just poorly...she has a lease of life then is so tired for hours, she really is skin and bone, her fur makes her look puffy....
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 22 Oct 2009, 19:31

:worry: :worry: :worry:

:vrysad:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby vettechie » 22 Oct 2009, 20:31

did your vet call it thrombocytopenia or hemolytic anemia?
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 24 Oct 2009, 06:00

Been to the vet this morning, he said he was checking her for autoimmune hemolytic, he says it's something to do with her blood and bacteria in her stomach and mentioned something called "sebo" I don't how he's spelling it as I didn't write it down, I've googled it and I can't find anything on what he is on about. The camera has now been booked for Tuesday at !2 '0'clock....she has another prescription for antibiotics, it seems everytime she stops taking them the diarrhea comes back, he says she can keep taking the antibiotics but will probably cause other problems with her kidneys or liver function on a long term basis.
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby vettechie » 26 Oct 2009, 18:59

keep me posted. I have no clue what SEBO could be...
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 27 Oct 2009, 11:20

vettechie wrote:keep me posted. I have no clue what SEBO could be...

SEBO is his own term, he didn't think I'd think it was something to do with daizy, he just uses it for himself, it means something to him :think: ...does that make sense? Anyway, the Endoscopy this morning went well... they did a biopsy and hopefully results back on Thursday so I'll know alot more then. :sigh:
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 18 Nov 2009, 07:51

Well loads of tests later all the results are back it turns out wee pup has an idiopathic disease realted to the bowel. She'll be on her meds and a hypoallergenic diet for about a month and if it settles her stomach she'll stay on them and hopefully we'll be able to keep it under control, the vet said she can never be cured of this but can lead a full life with alot of patience and checkups and hopefully no other signs occur. (fingers crossed)
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby vettechie » 18 Nov 2009, 21:12

glad to hear they figured it out. good luck!
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 19 Nov 2009, 01:09

:dance: :love: :clap2:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby dustinmyeye » 26 Nov 2009, 08:08

glad that you finally have some answers about your wee dog, the not knowing is torture.
dustinmyeye

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician