cat and new carpet

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

cat and new carpet

Postby caththecrazy » 11 Sep 2009, 16:19

My friend has just had a new carpet laid in her loungue( where the cat usually spend most of her time) and then went away for a few days leaving the cat in the house (she's a house cat) and being looked after by 2 neighbours(as per usual when she's away)

Since she's come back Soph (the cat) will not walk on the carpet and slinks around the flat,avoiding the loungue, spending most of her time in the bedroom. Been going on for a week. So she called the vet out as she wanted him to see Soph at home as opposed to in the surgery. He said she was physically fine but gave her some talets to calm her down.

We think it must be the new carpet - either the smell or the feel or whatever. Any ideas what she can do? She's (my friend) rolled round the carpet to put her scent on it , tried to put Soph's food in there but she didn't eat for 2 days. I suggested she got some off cuts of new carpet and put in the bedroom and kitchen so Soph got used to the new carpet but wasn't in direct contact with it. Wrong she's now retreated into a cupboard...

She's a resuced cat and is about 10 years old.

Help. Any advice would be greatly received.
caththecrazy

Re: cat and new carpet

Postby vettechie » 11 Sep 2009, 20:57

She may never go in there again. Cats are very scent and texture orientated. I suggest just leaving her be, and let her work it out for herself. Possibly buy some loose catnip and sprinkle it in the door way.

I have a friend who fostered a cat in her spare bedroom for 4 nights-not the days, nights only- and her resident cat still wont go in the room. The cats been gone for over 4 weeks.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Re: cat and new carpet

Postby caththecrazy » 12 Sep 2009, 09:09

Thanks very much - cats are a law unto themselves I guess love them.
caththecrazy

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician