Getting nasty

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

Getting nasty

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Aug 2012, 08:05

I wonder if you have any suggestions please.

Someone who works for us has an Airedale, who's getting on in years now. The cottage has no garden to speak of, and whilst it was OK to leave his dog in the house while he was at work, I told Lawrence that during the heat we're having at the moment, it'd be better to take the dog out with him so that he could run around and get some fresh air.

Unfortunately, despite there being a fence to segregate the area where he works from our private garden, one of our bull terriers went berserk when she smelt the other dog, charged at the fence and broke it. It was duly repaired, but she's done it again. This time we mended the fence by putting more substantial panels up, but Rosie barks the place down and snarls and growls, getting agitated that she can't get through to this dog.

I put her on a long leash, but don't think it's fair that she should have to be kept up in her own patch. She also sets the other 3 dogs off. All of ours are as daft as brushes with people, but not other dogs, so now I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to deter Rosie (who always starts it) from making a beeline to the fence?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Getting nasty

Postby pilvikki » 21 Aug 2012, 10:21

set up the sprinkler back there....? :lol:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Aug 2012, 14:23

Good idea! Only thing is, it'd have to be on for most of the day, and the ground'd get waterlogged - but yes, it's an idea that might work actually.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby vettechie » 23 Aug 2012, 23:19

Well aside from a loud noise every time she does it, try pouring vinegar on the fence. Dogs hate the smell and it might deter her.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Aug 2012, 08:11

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that. It'd be a lot easier than moving a sprinkler over, but all suggestions welcome because the poor girl's driving me - and the other dogs - nuts.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician