Loose Lucy

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

Loose Lucy

Postby brandtrn » 06 Jun 2012, 15:44

Question: What types of things tend to cause loose stools (NOT diarrhea!) in dogs? My Lucy appears to be suffering the canine equivalent of irritable bowel syndrome. She's alternating between passing small, hard stools that look for all the world like large pebbles for days at a time, followed by a few days of passing very loose, slimy poo which appears to be full of mucus. Her stools aren't particularly frequent...usually no more than two per day, but I'm bothered by the consistency. Her diet is exactly the same on a day-to-day basis. She eats dry dog food (we use the Blue Buffalo brand with either chicken and rice or lamb and rice), supplemented with a daily "treat" of one or two broiled baby back beef ribs. I just sent a stool specimen in when she went to the vet for her grooming appointment yesterday, which was negative for parasites. What, besides parasites, might cause this problem with Lucy's stools? The vet wasn't available to see her yesterday when she was in for her grooming appointment, or I'd have asked him. Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to give me on this.
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Loose Lucy

Postby vettechie » 06 Jun 2012, 19:58

Well there are alot of things! Do you know if the stool sample was checked for giardia and bacterial overgrowth (namely clostridium?) She could have a food allergy- she would be the right age for it. Its usually beef, chicken or lamb in the food that dogs are allergic too. I would also stop the bones. Try canned unspiced pumpkin or frozen thawed squash mixed with her food to add fiber and aid digestion. Consider changing her food to a diffrent protien source (duck, venison, fish, kangaroo) and also look for something other than a diet with rice. Try potatos or sweet potatoes, even peas make good alternate carb sources.

Hope this helps
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 07 Jun 2012, 02:23

kangaroo would put spring in her step....

:shifty:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 07 Jun 2012, 20:24

Thanks for the advice, Marg!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician