Gnawing her paws

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

Gnawing her paws

Postby Sandra » 27 Jan 2012, 06:29

My youngest dog Daizy is constantly gnawing her paws. They are red and swollen but she won't let me touch them to see what's wrong. It can't be anything stuck in them as she's doing it to 3 of them. Any ideas what could be causing her to do this?
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Gnawing her paws

Postby pilvikki » 27 Jan 2012, 09:14

do you use salt on the sidewalks to melt the snow...?

poor puppy...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby vettechie » 28 Jan 2012, 10:18

Its most likely allergies. The same cells humans have in thier noses and eyes that react to allergens are found in a dogs feet, ears, lips and butt.

She could be allergic to food/treats/dust/grass ect. Pets usually are allergic to the protien source in food! Is she on a new food lately? new treats? any new cleaning products or shampoos in the home? new carpet? furniture? air freshener?

I suggest doing the following:

1. Claritin (loratidine) 10mg tablets- 1 tablet daily for pets under 50 pounds, 1 tablet 2 times daily for pets bigger than that (DO NOT USE CLARITIN D )

2. If Claritin is unavailable or too costly, use benedryl (diphenhydramine). The dose is 1mg per pound of body weight rounded up to the nearest whole amount (28# dog gets 30mg, 40 # dog gets 40mg ect). This can be given 2-3 times daily.

3. Wash your pet in dial soap, let the soap sit on the feet for 2-3 minutes before rinsing, you can then apply a small amount of conditioner if the coat feels dry.

4. Flax seed oil capsules, look for 500mg or higher- give 1, 2 times daily to help skin repair

5. slowly switch your girl to a "novelle" protien diet, such as venison and potato, fish and potato, rabbit and pea ect, or even vegetarian formula food. (try wellness or natural balance brands) I feed the natural balance vegetarian formula to my boys and its been a blessing

6. do not feed store brands of anything- not even treats!
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 28 Jan 2012, 12:30

There has been alot of salt put down on the paths lately due to the cold weather. I thought the grit was sticking in her paws but she won't let me anywhere near her to check.

Thanks for your quick response Vettechie. I'll try her on the benedryl and get the soap. I do feed her on shop food, caeser foils and pedigree treats. I have tried her on dry food but she won't touch it. I'll give the protein food you've suggested a go, hopefully she'll like it.

The vet suggested I get allergy tests done on her but at £700.00 its a bit pricey.
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby vettechie » 28 Jan 2012, 16:08

Sorry but, ceaser and pedigree are some of the worse foods you can buy. Its like McDonalds mixed with taco bell..... All of the food I advised come in dry and canned form. I bet the food switch will make a huge change!
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 28 Jan 2012, 19:05

hey thanks for the question, sandra and thanks for the answers, marg!

i will keep an eye on my mutts for i've noticed some paw chewing lately, but it's usually the same paw.... :think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Sandra » 29 Jan 2012, 13:46

vettechie wrote:Sorry but, ceaser and pedigree are some of the worse foods you can buy. Its like McDonalds mixed with taco bell.....
Oh dear!! :oops:

Time for a big change in the dogs diet..thanks again. I'll update in a week and let you know if there is a change in her. Thanks again.
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby vettechie » 30 Jan 2012, 22:23

That would be great, hope she does better.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 12 Feb 2012, 10:00

It's really difficult to get them to change food. No one wants to eat :think: Is pasta good for them?
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Feb 2012, 16:30

erm... no...

i have issues with my mutts, too... i'd go the raw food diet routine but can't handle the mess it creates.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby vettechie » 16 Feb 2012, 22:42

you need to get them to eat high quality dog food. You can add chicken broth, tuna water, meat based onion free baby food with it if needed.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 20 Feb 2012, 15:38

[ img ]

I'm giving this a try. Fingers crossed it works.

She keeps shaking her head as if something is in her ear but we've cleaned it out and removed excess hair and there is no smell. It is bugging her though. Any ideas?
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby threenorns » 20 Feb 2012, 16:49

i feed dandy only raw food diet - he was at the doggy day care last week but bec we'd overloaded teh car, we couldn't pick him up as scheduled. they didn't have enough meat for the extra day so they gave him Acana for dinner and Taste of the Wild for breakfast (both premium brands he's had before).

he had the shits for three days after.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 20 Feb 2012, 20:45

could be inner ear, sandra?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby vettechie » 23 Feb 2012, 22:23

allergies can cause itchy ears. Dont put anything in the ears. Benedryl will help, also ear ointment from a vet is sometimes needed. Those foods look great btw.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Sandra » 24 Feb 2012, 06:54

Thanks so much Marg, you've been a great help :love:
Sandra
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician