Fireworks...and a very scared dog....

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

Fireworks...and a very scared dog....

Postby pastafreak » 02 Nov 2010, 12:23

Sally has issues with certain noises-banging,tennis courts-when they are in use, children's playgrounds-and shrill kiddies....and fireworks. It is now the firework season here in the UK-and I already have problems-even though we have only heard a few bangs. Most have been in the park when we are out walking...and that-along with some building works that are going on...are causing her quite a bit of stress. To the extent that she wants to avoid more and more of her normal walk every day. What was a good 45 minutes to an hour has been reduced to only 10-15 minutes. The worst of the noise will be this Friday-I have gotten her some natural tablets to help calm her,and have also used Rescue Remedy in her water. Getting her to take the tablets may be a problem,as she is also off her food.
I know this will pass,but what can I do to help her get back to normal when all the noise is over.
pastafreak

Re: Fireworks...and a very scared dog....

Postby vettechie » 05 Nov 2010, 21:06

benedryl/diphenhydramine 1mg per pound (1 pound is 2.2kg)
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Re: Fireworks...and a very scared dog....

Postby threenorns » 07 Jul 2011, 06:40

took dandy to the fireworks.

he freaked - knocked two ppl off the bench trying to scramble under the bleachers.

spoke firmly, told him "down!", dragged him out, then we walked.

in about ten minutes: breathing and pulse back to normal and he was focussing on his boy bits while i kept my hands over his ears to reduce the impact.

one thing: cesar was 100% correct - when ppl around us were "oooh, it's okay! it's okay!" and patting him, he got progressively *worse* until you feel the shaking through the structure of the bleachers.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician