Microchipping?

Our resident veterinary technician, vettechie (Marg), will answer all pet specific questions on a time available basis.

Microchipping?

Postby brandtrn » 20 Sep 2010, 14:29

Hey, Marg...

I want you to post a shout-out here to my husband, who, once again, is on his conspiracy-theory kick (when isn't he??) My Lucy is at the veterinary hospital today for her spay operation. I was hoping to have her microchip placement done while they had her under, but Yury went nuts when I mentioned it, spouting off about a program on his favorite conspiracy-theorist's (Alex Jones) show, that told all kind of horror stories about microchips causing cancer in pets. I've done what research I could to refute this, but he's not listening...I suppose I should be grateful that he consented to the spay procedure (he raised all kinds of holy Hell when I tried to have it done on Maia when she was a puppy -- I ended up sneaking her in for the operation when she was about three, and he didn't speak to me for more than a week!). I'm at a loss, because she's an active dog, and I WANT to have that microchip placed before we take her on vacation with us to the Gulf Coast next month! He doesn't seem to understand that this device could save us TONS of heartbreak, should Lucy ever be lost or stolen. Could you please add your two cents to this debate?? Thanks!
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Microchipping?

Postby threenorns » 23 Sep 2010, 08:18

it can't cause cancer because it doesn't emit radiation in spite of the possibly misleading "micro"chip name - micro refers to the size, not the type.

it uses radio frequency at a low intensity to enable a scanner to pick up owner info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)

oh, okay, i see what he's getting at. from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)#Reported_adverse_reactions:

"RFID chips are used in animal research, and tumors at the site of implantation have been reported in laboratory mice and rats.[45] Noted veterinary associations[46] responded with continued support for the procedure as reasonably safe for cats and dogs, pointing to rates of serious complications on the order of one in a million in the U.K., which has a system for tracking such adverse reactions and has chipped over 3.7 million pet dogs."

that's mice and rats, which are WAY smaller than dogs and cats. i can see the microchips - which are about the size of a grain of rice - causing problems for something the size of a mouse but dandy's has his for a few months now and not a hint of a problem. all the fur's even grown back at the injection site so you'd never know it's there at all.

present this to him:
odds of your dog getting cancer from the microchip - 1:1 000 000

odds of your dog getting lost or stolen?

fidofinder: http://www.fidofinder.com/ has 87,788 lost dogs and 47,540 found dogs registered - and that's not including the dogs picked up by animal control and taken to local shelters!

more statistics from http://www.ygrr.org/doginfo/care-find.html

Based on 7,100 cases in three years of operation, National Pet Recovery (a private pet recovery company) found that:

Less than 2 percent of all missing pets NPR recovered wore identification tags.

At least 95 percent of the families that reported a missing pet within two weeks of the animal’s disappearance were reunited.

More than 83 percent of missing dogs NPR recovered were retrieved more than 30 miles away from the spot where they disappeared.

At least 200 posters (sometimes up to 1,500) are needed to locate a missing dog.

Stolen dogs make up 41 percent of the cases.

67 percent of those dogs were stolen from a secured area for personal use and medical laboratory testing.

17 percent of stolen dogs were stolen from their owner’s homes.

14 percent were stolen from vehicles.

Of the stolen dogs, 23 percent were taken by someone the pet owner knows.

Dogs allowed to run loose make up 47 percent of the cases.

Dogs that escape from their homes or a secured area make up 12 percent of the cases.

bottom line, just get it done. if he doesn't talk to you for a month, it'll be a very peaceful vacation.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Microchipping?

Postby vettechie » 26 Sep 2010, 20:57

hey cindi,

I have my dogs chipped. Both of them. Its a must. They dont cause cancer (the whole thing has become an urban legend of sorts), they dont beep, they dont move and puncture organs (though I have heard of them moving under the skin, but when you scan you check the ENTIRE animal, not the one spot it usually is.) I can feel my dogs chips- but they are whippets, with no fat and no hair.( I expect you may have that "issue", but its not bothersome)

if I were in your shoes, I would do it, the benifits WAY WAY WAY make up for any issues. Its a sterile needle placement, does not reqire anes. and lasts a lifetime.
vettechie
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Return to Ask a Veterinary Technician