So HOW are you reading now?

Give us your literary reviews and comments about your favorite books and publications.
Forum rules
NOTE: Please include the title of the literature or author being reviewed in the subject line of the post.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

So HOW are you reading now?

Postby bermbits » 02 Jan 2010, 09:51

Touched upon in an earlier Mamie post, how many of you read electronically and how many still use paper (or a combination)? As long as I am able, it's real books for me.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: So HOW are you reading now?

Postby pastafreak » 02 Jan 2010, 19:30

Real books all the way for me. If e-readers ever become 'cheap'..I may consider, as they would be good for traveling. But I doubt I would find what I want to read for them....and the purchase price for ebooks is high.
pastafreak

Postby NoMercy » 25 Jan 2010, 14:10

Oh.. it's definitely the old fashioned way for me. I will see a book on the bookshelf that I haven't read in a good while, and I will just feel the inexplicable urge to pick it up, leaf my way through it, take in the smell of the pages and then go and get comfy in bed with my pillows propped up and start reading it all over again. :grin:
NoMercy

Postby pilvikki » 05 Feb 2010, 02:26

i don't particularly like reading on the computer screen, so i doubt i'll ever get along with ebooks...?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Toula » 05 Feb 2010, 03:21

Same as pilvikki, I find that I am more and more buying the books with the bigger print!
Toula

Postby pilvikki » 06 Feb 2010, 00:09

i can read fine in daylight, but come evening and i'll go look for my glasses...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Toula » 06 Feb 2010, 00:34

pilvikki wrote:

i can read fine in daylight, but come evening and i'll go look for my glasses...

And then I canny find them because it is soooo dark! 8-)
Toula

Postby Haysi » 13 Feb 2010, 07:45

Hi bermbits, I've been "reading" using Clipper Audio. Our Library has a good selection, you just bung in your earphones and a wee battery and away you go. The device is about the size of an MP3player. I must say its taking a wee bit to get into but it's convenient, especially at night, I just plug in the 'phones and listen til I drop off - or not!! I've also been taking them along to the gym, due to recent back problems I'm confined to the treadmill at the mo so it helps me while away the time. Highly recommend them if you want to give an audio book a try.
Haysi
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby kg » 25 Apr 2010, 02:53

pilvikki wrote:

i don't particularly like reading on the computer screen, so i doubt i'll ever get along with ebooks...?

Toula wrote:Same as pilvikki, I find that I am more and more buying the books with the bigger print!

Of course, you do know that you can increase the font size on your computer screen with a couple of key strokes, right?

My father (82 years old) was amazed when I showed him. Of course, I had to drag him kicking and screaming on to the Internet in the first place!

GO AWAY, SON...YA BOTHER ME!!

[ img ]
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 25 Apr 2010, 14:56

it's not the print size, or the font, it's just that it's NOT a book. i realize i can turn pages, and do whatever i can with a book and WAY more, but i just like books.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby brandtrn » 20 Jan 2012, 21:02

I don't think I'll ever want to give up on my books...there's nothing, in my opinion, which compares to the feel of a "real" book in one's hand. Real books are still my first choice, but I have purchased a Nook Color for travel purposes. It's totally lightened my "load" to be able to go on vacation without packing a dozen books to take with me. I also like the idea that I can read in bed with this thing...the screen is back-lit, so I can read while my husband is sleeping without having to risk disturbing him by turning on the light. I thought about the Kindle, but didn't like the fact that they have a "back door" where they can delete e-books purchased by their customers (and which they notoriously did not all that long ago with George Orwell's 1984). The Nook Color is a great product, which also allows me to check my e-mail and websurf, in addition to reading my favorite titles. What can I say? I AM a "gadget girl" and love my electronic "toys," but, given the choice, I'd still rather read a real book...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby bermbits » 20 Jan 2012, 21:31

I ended up getting my wife a Kindle - she has adapted well and ended up reading both in bed (not at the same time).
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Jan 2012, 22:12

I prefer books as well, even after getting quite interested in the eReader that my mum had for Christmas.
I don't get a lot of time to read ANYTHING much these days though, but Yogi set me off again tonight by mentioning Carl Young - or Jung.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Meiga » 15 Aug 2014, 10:38

Meiga
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Aug 2014, 14:54

e-Readers're probably easier for storage, but books can be beautiful.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Meiga » 15 Aug 2014, 15:45

Books are somehow more real
Meiga
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Aug 2014, 18:33

I agree with you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 03 Sep 2014, 02:21

Books always..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Sep 2014, 12:58

Have to agree.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby LilAni » 05 Sep 2014, 16:42

I've been reading using my phone actually. Comes in handy so I don't wake the baby with a light or the turn of pages. Maybe eventually I will invest in an actual eReader lol
LilAni
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Next

Return to Literature Reviews