kate mosse: citadel

Give us your literary reviews and comments about your favorite books and publications.
Forum rules
NOTE: Please include the title of the literature or author being reviewed in the subject line of the post.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

kate mosse: citadel

Postby pilvikki » 09 Aug 2013, 06:26

the book is based on carcassonne and surrounding areas so i thought it would be an interesting read about the area's history.

wrong.

it went mostly into the WWII era and followed mostly these women who'd set up a resistance cell. 98% of the book was interesting and written in a lively manner. the story line was logical, the characters believable.

then we got to the ending... wow what a total mess!

i don't know what drugs she took to finish it but my mouth dropped open. logic? gone! history? made a mockery of! story line? flushed down the sewer.

there was not even One german depicted humane, all either cowards or sadists or both. yes, i'm well aware of what sort mostly rose to through the hitler's ranks, but on the other hand, some high ranking officials were there due to birth rights, or wealth. not their nefarious tendencies.

the entire book hangs on this mysterious codex which is supposed to have been secreted into a mountain cave in 344 CE or so. it is found at a critical moment, of course!! and reading it out loud will bring 10 000 x 10 000 dead soldiers back to fight the evil. it is written in goptic.

right.

the guy finds it and then takes it out of his suit pocket and starts to read it. in english. somehow a page of seven verses of hand written script on most likely papyrus will fit in a suit pocket? text that takes up an entire book page in 10 pt type?

it sez stuff like "the land will defend those who are pure of heart"

not very well, it did! our pure hearted soldiers got caught and horribly tortured before being blown up as the germans retrieted.

like wtf was that all about? totally borrowed from the temple of doom, thank ye so much.

THEN she explains that well, actually, there were no all women cells of resistance that she knows of. there was no codex, there were no freedom fighters in cuiza or tarascon or prisoners blown up. etc.

there's plenty of real history to use, so why make such lame-ass and twisted plots for no reason at all.

blergh.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: kate mosse: citadel

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Aug 2013, 15:01

Oh b*gger! Someone bought me that book 2 weeks ago. I haven't had chance to read it yet, but you've put me off it a bit.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 10 Aug 2013, 18:33

sounds fascinating though..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Aug 2013, 19:40

I'll let you all know when I get round to reading it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Literature Reviews