The Hobbit..

Give us your literary reviews and comments about your favorite books and publications.
Forum rules
NOTE: Please include the title of the literature or author being reviewed in the subject line of the post.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: The Hobbit..

Postby Tomsk » 10 Sep 2013, 17:05

indeed..
I can't muster up the energy to watch it on DVD when initially I was very excited about seeing it...
It's been messed about with too much,
I prefer to read the book again...
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Sep 2013, 18:01

I didn't find it anywhere near as good as the LOTR trilogy. There were some decent scenes in it, but the makeup was slapdash and I noticed little things that didn't gel, somehow. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the next offering/s though.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 10 Sep 2013, 18:32

we await your appraisal..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Sep 2013, 19:07

Be a while yet, won't it?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 10 Sep 2013, 21:38

Oh, that's right...The Hobbit is to be released as a trilogy of movies. I forgot about that!

I kind of don't get that. One movie for each of the books in LOTR, but three for The Hobbit? Not to say that The Hobbit wasn't a good book, but each of the novels in LOTR was quite a bit richer. Of course, one can get carried away with the movies.

I'm going to have to see what I have here, I suppose. I hope it isn't too disappointing, and leaves off at an acceptable point in the story.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Tomsk » 11 Sep 2013, 00:18

I loved the Hobbit in book form..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Sep 2013, 05:30

I felt that after an extremely long film, The Hobbit ended a bit abruptly, so I actually preferred the book.

Turning it into a trilogy's just to make as much money as possible out of it. The whole thing could've been done in one.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 11 Sep 2013, 16:29

Wise words .....
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Sep 2013, 19:13

But in the film industry, money talks. Even with lower audiences than LOTR had, three Hobbit films're going to bring in more than one, obviously. In fact, maybe people were subconsciously comparing the two. I know I was. Perhaps the next one'll be better?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 11 Sep 2013, 19:14

You know, that little ploy may turn around and bite them in the butt. Put too many people off, and too few will buy the movies to turn a profit...or should I say, the rest of the movies?

Perhaps that's what we're seeing. People watched the first Hobbit movie, were dissatisfied, and the word spread. To the bargain bin it goes!
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Sep 2013, 19:51

You could be right Glenn. I've spoken to quite a few people who were disappointed with the film, so depending on how much hype we get before the next one, let's see whether it scarcely leaves the cutting room floor or if interest'll pick up again and folk'll want to see if it betters the first attempt.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 11 Sep 2013, 20:28

If everyone was like me, the film would roll over and play dead. I wouldn't watch the movie to see if it were better; I would wait until I heard reviews from others. If everyone did that, the movie would never sell.

Good thing not everyone is like me, isn't it?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Sep 2013, 21:31

LOL! I only watch these particular ones because my boys go to see them at the cinema, then buy the DVD or whatever. I was curious about The Hobbit, so waited until I could watch it at home.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 12 Sep 2013, 17:03

Same here. Since the LOTR movies were so good, I wanted to see The Hobbit, but wasn't willing to part with the schillings and be harassed by all the kiddies whose parents drop them off to be "babysat" for a couple of hours. Bad enough if the movie is a stinker, but if it's good... :tantrum:

Aren't I terrible? :P
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Sep 2013, 17:29

Extremely - but you make me laugh, and you're a good one to look after the little guys for a bit.

Btw, sorry - didn't notice your photo up until now. You'll have to make another vid when you have some spare time - and yes, I know it's not in abundance at the moment, but everyone loved it!

Sorry, sorry - The Hobbit. Nah, let's listen to you instead! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 12 Sep 2013, 19:52

Ice.Maiden wrote:Extremely - but you make me laugh, and you're a good one to look after the little guys for a bit.

Who, me? Don't have any small kids around; the ones that are around can drive to the theater themselves.

No, I was talking about other peoples' children. I don't know common practices in the U.K., but here in the States, people will commonly drop the kids (who are old enough, though in some cases...) off at the theater with enough money to buy a ticket each, popcorn, candy, and a soft drink.

The movie gives them a few hours off from the "brats" (and I assure you...those who drop their children off so have brats) for children!); unfortunately, it imposes them on the serious movie-goers who just might like to watch (and hear) the movie they paid for without the distractions.

With the prices for tickets, candy, popcorn, and soda these days, I can't see how they're saving that much over a babysitter for that period of time. Maybe so...it's becoming harder to find reliable babysitters, and with reliability comes higher prices.

I quit going to movie theaters years ago, when this problem started gaining steam. Except for matinees or any movie that would be of little interest to children, I wait for the DVD to come out, so I can watch it in peace, and even rewind it if I miss something. I hate having to go to the loo...I usually miss one of the crucial parts. :doh:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Sep 2013, 21:23

LOOOL!! Aww, I'm sorry. I totally misread what you put ... and can see now! :oops:

What's the matter Glenn - don't you see yourself as having about half a dozen little charges to entertain?? :lol: Laugh ye not. I think you'd be good at the job actually.

Shall I run now?? :silenced:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 13 Sep 2013, 12:33

Run! And quickly! :lol:

Actually, I'm not very good with children, for the same reason I wouldn't make a good teacher...I lack the patience. You aren't likely to have noticed anything, since we've only ever communicated by writing, but I have great difficulty finding and keeping tolerance for those who can't see what is completely obvious to me.

I understand that some are incapable of comprehending some things, while eminently astute in their areas of expertise...I've made peace with that...but that realization doesn't help when trying to educate someone in one of mine. If the person doesn't grasp the concept in a reasonable amount of time, I become frustrated.

I can't help the reaction, but I also realize that someone else may be able to teach them through a different instruction method...something I've experienced myself. Back in tech school in the Air Force, I was having trouble with digital concepts, until I was entered into a certain instructor's class. He explained it in a way that instantly clicked with me, and the instructor and I became friends.

No, I would be a poor choice to entertain children, not even when I was that age. I was a "different" child, already intolerant of the proclivities of those in my age group. While the rest of my peers were engaging in the "shenanigans" of youth, I was already educating myself, at that time, in electronics and communications.

I repaired my first television at the age of nine, and obtained my first two Ham licenses (Novice and General classes) at the age of twelve. I was also already reading prolifically, having read the local library out of several genres. I was reduced to waiting until my favorite authors released new novels for me to read.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Sep 2013, 14:18

I see nothing wrong with that attitude at all, but then, I'm known for impatience myself sometimes. It's not in the way that yours is, but I like things to get done - sooner, rather than later. I see it as being lax if someone says they're going to do something and a week later they're still considering it. I'm also impatient in queues, hate people being late and lose patience with certain types of people. I think you'd be extremely impatient with me if you knew the extent of my "stupidity" with computers ... but then ... I think it speaks for itself by the daft questions I ask!! I can feel a grin coming on!! : )

However, despite my flaws in that area, I have an abundance of patience with children. I don't expect certain standards of them while they're young, because each child develops at its own rate, but I DO put a subtle emphasis on learning as much as they can, and I succeeded in that with mine, by devising methods of play which incorporated them using their brains - but also by having fun at the same time.

It's surprising, reading through what you've put, that YOU lack patience with kids though, because I admire your knowledge and would've thought that you could've made a good teacher. Only you know yourself, but you have a great sense of humour as well, which I always thinks helps when trying to explain things in a way which (most) people can understand.

One of our techie friends sounds a lot like you. His father was an inventor, so right from being very young, he followed suit and was always tinkering around with computers, radios and so on. His "hobbies" became serious by the time he was about 9. Rather than go out and play football or whatever youngsters like doing, he had his head in instruction manuals and was questioning detailed workings of electronic gadgets. He used to make his own bugging devices - lol - and he liked to entertain by showing family and friends his latest prototypes - which he made up, and which worked.

He excelled at maths, science and IT, so it was obvious that he was going to work in a line where he could use this knowledge, BUT, he has all the time in the world for his young son, who seems to be following in his daddy's footsteps, but he could do with a bit more patience when dealing with adults. If people don't "grasp" things pretty quickly, it annoys him no end, but what he doesn't seem to appreciate is that not everyone picks things up as rapidly as he does - or they might not even want to. His whole manner - from conversation to being practical, is based on logic and technical application, if that makes sense! He's actually a very, very clever man, who's head-hunted for his remarkable knowledge, but whereas YOU can have a laugh, HE finds it less easy to join in with what he considers as banal conversation. I think, perhaps, that we all suffer from impatience to a degree, but I would've thought you'd have been perfect to tutor others.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 26 Sep 2013, 10:24

I'm Tolkeined out..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Literature Reviews