The best book

Give us your literary reviews and comments about your favorite books and publications.
Forum rules
NOTE: Please include the title of the literature or author being reviewed in the subject line of the post.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

The best book

Postby StVandal » 22 Oct 2007, 16:41

What is the best book, or series that you've read?
(If it's the Bible, then what's your second favorite book?)

I do like the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, but I think the most memorable series I've read is The Belgariad by David Eddings (a fantasy writer). The characters are really well developed and I got to really like them (or dislike them, depending on the character) and he did a lot of background work on the different nations and races of people, too. I think he did a really good job.
I liked the second part of the series, The Malloreon, but it was pretty much the first series rewritten.. there's even a couple times one of the characters in the Malloreon mentions something like "It seems like we've done all this before."

I tend to like fantasy fiction the most, what's your favorite genre?
StVandal

Re: The best book

Postby imbizze » 22 Oct 2007, 18:00

I really enjoyed Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" books, Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, and Brother Odd. Good stuff.
imbizze

Postby meadow » 22 Oct 2007, 18:47

the best book i've ever read is Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon. after the success she wrote a prequel of sorts and then collaborated on a few others. but none were equal to Mists! they made a craptastic TV movie out of it though. grrr!
meadow

Postby pilvikki » 22 Oct 2007, 19:54

pratchett is still my favourite, but i'll look up david eddings. adam's hitch-hiker etc, of course. isaac asimov etc [from the era when there were no women in space, lol!]

best book? :think: it's like asking what is the best movie...

historical novels are as interesting as sci-fi for me, like rutherfurd's London, Ruska, Princes of ireland, The Forest etc. bryce courtney's australia is fascinating [Smokie joe's café and Four fires are favourites] calvell's Taipan.

i loved the Clan of the Cavebear, not so much the rest.

ah yes, alex macCall smith and the #1 ladies' detective agency series. love those, but they're definitely women's reading. very mellow, very genteel.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Tomsk » 25 May 2012, 14:11

The sign of four..Conan-doyle.
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Tomsk » 27 May 2012, 14:11

H.G. Wells..The history of Mr Polly..